VMware Communities
Celeron463
Contributor
Contributor

Unity - most of "Virtual Machine" menu is grayed out

Why when I'm in Unity mode with no windows open is most of the "Virtual Machine" menubar menu grayed out? I can't "power off" or "shut down" my Virtual Machine without first launching and application or opening the "Launch Application" window.

This is very frustrating. Attached is a screenshot of the menu.

I'm using RC1 with my Windows XP SP2 bootcamp partition running on NTFS.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Celeron463
Contributor
Contributor

No one?

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

You probably want to file a support request[/url]...

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
manuel_wenger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here. I guess this is by design - probably Fusion wouldn't know which VM the "Virtual machine" menu would refer to, if no window of any VM is open. The launch window (or the window of any application) brings that menu back to life, as it now knows what VM your commands (ie. shutdown etc) are referring to.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Same here. I guess this is by design - probably

Fusion wouldn't know which VM the "Virtual machine"

menu would refer to, if no window of any VM is open.

The launch window (or the window of any application)

brings that menu back to life, as it now knows what

VM your commands (ie. shutdown etc) are referring to.

Yes, that is correct. If all windows are closed and you have two VMs running, there is no way to know which one the menus refer to in that case. If the application launcher is open, it includes the active VM or the one you wish to choose selected in the popup on the bottom of the launcher so we know which VM it applies to.

We will look for ways to improve this as we move forward.

Best,

Pat Lee

Senior Product Manager - Mac Products

VMware

0 Kudos
jgspda
Contributor
Contributor

The one thing I hated about Parallels (being a former Parallels user), was that it wasn't stable enough for heavy use. I've been using VMWare since Beta 3, and, even in beta status, is far superior to Parallels.

Except...with the whole Coherence vs. Unity thing.

What I DID like with Parallels was the ability to bypass adding Windows programs to the dock or using Parallels' interface to open Windows programs.... simply, by leaving in the back-door hotkey to open the Windows start menu (i.e., you still get to the start menu when in Coherence).

The Start menu has been engraved in Windows-user's minds since Win95... I just can't see re-inventing it via 3rd party app. If there's some crafty, easy to understand way to implement this, then I would recommend it.

0 Kudos