VMware Communities
ravichso
Contributor
Contributor

Unity mode disabled on Fusion 8.5.6 Windows 10 guest and OS Sierra host on a Macbook Pro

Unity mode is disabled for a long time on my Macbook Pro . Everything was working on the first prod release windows 10 , Fusion and OS Yosemite but after some update of Windows 10 + Fusion , Unity mode is grayed out always. Copy /Paste across Guest/host too does not work. I have tried all listed actions ( uninstalling tool, reinstalling, uninstalling Fusion and reinstalling Fusion. I have not resinstalled windows 10 though. I am kind of resigned to this now . Can some one help ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you tried updating VMware Tools?

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003417

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
ravichso
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for responding quickly !. I have tried uninstalling the VMWare tools completely and reinstalling again. I have done this a number of times ( most recent being yesterday after a new update of VMWare Fusion was available. The installation succeeds but the problem does not go away.  The Unit mode menu is disabled . I cannot copy paste across the guest and host either. 

The only suspicious item in the VMWare tools installation log are the following entries ( though no error is reported by the vmware tools installation UI :

Property(S): ERR_UNSUPPORTED_OS_32 = This program requires Windows Vista or later 32-bit operating system. Please refer to VMware KB article 2129825 to learn how to obtain and install VMware Tools in this version of Windows.

Property(S): ERR_UNSUPPORTED_OS_64 = This program requires Windows Vista or later 64-bit operating system. Please refer to VMware KB article 2129825 to learn how to obtain and install VMware Tools in this version of Windows.

I hope there is some magic resolution ( other than creating a windows 10 machine from scratch !)

Some background info

What is frustrating is my initial setup with Windows 10 and Fusion used to work well  . In full screen mode I could use 2 external monitors and the retina display for windows. I cant recall which update ( Fusion or Mac OS ) broke this . Now I am restricted to full screen in one monitor and I cannot copy & paste across the host and guest.  I tried uninstalling Fusion and reinstalling and then opening the VM again . Same issues .  The only solution I did not try was creating a new Windows 10 VM from scratch. That is a lengthy process as it would mean I would need to install many of the applications too.

Setup:

My setup is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

VMWare Fusion : Version 8.5.6 (5234762)

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B25

System Version: macOS 10.12.4 (16E195)

Kernel Version: Darwin 16.5.0

Boot Volume: Macintosh HD

Boot Mode: Normal

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

System Integrity Protection: Enabled

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Please attach a vmware.log file of that virtual machine to your reply here so we can check some settings.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Like Wil said the log will help, but you could also try installing Tools as a seperate download component.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1015&productId=614

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
mel_kulot
Contributor
Contributor

try reinstalling the vmware tools. Works with mine

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 12.01.38 PM.png

0 Kudos