VMware Communities
RMCCAMPBELL
Contributor
Contributor

Unity mode and windows 10 not working

So I finally got Windows 10 to install by using the .iso workaround but Unity mode does not work right. The Windows desktop shows over the Mac desktop more like fullscreen mode. Any timeline as to when this will be fixed?

25 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I am having the same issue. Uninstalled and reinstalled tools. Followed kb.vmware.com/kb/1027884 (a lot of which is outdated). Still not working.

0 Kudos
RMCCAMPBELL
Contributor
Contributor

I hope the next time a new Windows version is release that Fusion is ready for it. It does not seem like it was this time. I have friends who upgraded to 10 on Parallels and it went smooth and everything works that was working before.

0 Kudos
mburstin
Contributor
Contributor

By desktop showing -- do you mean an all grey background?  That is the behavior I am seeing.

0 Kudos
RMCCAMPBELL
Contributor
Contributor

yes its showing the windows desktop. Its suppose to be the Mac desktop in Unity mode. That grey background is also covering the mac windows until you click on them in the dock to pop them over that grey garbage.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Thanks for using Fusion.

Win10 is not supported officially in Fusion 7, but you could try Fusion Tech Preview VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2015 .There is also a workaround for Fusion 7.1.2 users. Changing the resolution in the Windows 10 VM resolved the issue. Unity should work fine with one of these resolutions 1926 x 1340, 1920 x 1200, 1920 x 1440.

Thanks

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Just out of curiosity I had a look at the Parallels forums and I bump into this:

Windows 10 coherence mode results in full white screen | Parallels Forums

Maybe your friends don't use coherence mode, because it seems like Parallels has a similar issue.

For me Windows 10 works smooth as well, but I never use unity.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
RMCCAMPBELL
Contributor
Contributor

changing resolution doesn't work because it keeps bumping back to 2560 x 1418 right after I hit apply. I tried all the resolutions. Is the Tech preview stable?

0 Kudos
rjyoung36
Contributor
Contributor

After installing VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2015, Unity Mode still not working as expected.

When I enter Unity Mode I can not open any applications from Windows.

When I switch back to Full Screen my background is grey.

0 Kudos
JiXeR
Contributor
Contributor

@wila - no, his friends were correct.  I have tested it on my computer.  Parallels worked fine in coherence mode.  sadly, i can't use parallels due to their lack of applescript support.

0 Kudos
RMCCAMPBELL
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mean you can't find the icons? Or you click the icon and it doesn't open?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Matt,

Interesting (especially as some of the comments on that thread turned out to be quite recent, including their support acknowledging issues), thanks for letting us know that they got it covered already.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
JiXeR
Contributor
Contributor

not sure.  maybe it's a specific hardware setup?  i just know on my 21.5" imac (mid 2011), with Parallels 11.0.0-30479, coherence does work.

0 Kudos
macerv
Contributor
Contributor

the same here! iMac 27" 5k late 2014 / VMWare Fusion 7.1.2 / OS X 10.10.5 / dual Monitor

0 Kudos
GlennCou
Contributor
Contributor

RMCCAMPBELL
Contributor
Contributor

Wow that sucks......If that really is the case they should have had the new versions ready for Windows 10 release.

0 Kudos
Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just read the same article. Looks like Parallels and VMware are going to use fully working unity/coherence mode in Windows 10, as a selling point for their yearly updates. Which means that many of us who have just updated to Windows 10 VMs will have to upgrade to Fusion 8 if we want a fully functioning unity mode. (Sigh, I remember the days when you could buy Fusion or Parallels, and your license would be good for two-three years).

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Please provide more information for investigation:

a. your host, Mac OS X 10.10.5 or 10.11?

b. guest, win10 or win7?

c. have you reinstalled or upgraded the tools after installing Fusion TP build ? If not, please uninstall tools manually (control panel->programs and features->uninstall VMware tools), then restart VM, and install tools (Virtual Machine in the apple menu bar -> Install VMware tools).

0 Kudos
RMCCAMPBELL
Contributor
Contributor

a. Tried in 10.10.4 and 10.10.5 . 10.11? Is that out yet?

b. Windows 10 because thats the problem

c. yes I have several time

Thanks,

Russell

0 Kudos
RMCCAMPBELL
Contributor
Contributor

Bought Parallels for a different Mac and uh wow what a slick install compared to Fusion. It popped into Cohesion mode and even has a view that makes windows 8.1 look like windows 7 ( the start menu I mean ). I am installing updates and then will do the Windows 10 update but looks like Parallels already supports it in version 11. Fusion says it will support it in the summer which I mean its already summer so I guess that means soon? Oh it auto installs the tools too and you just start using Windows..no BS.

0 Kudos