VMware Communities
ZacB
Contributor
Contributor

Unity is a buggy mess.

Is anybody else having issues with Unity? I have constant problems with window focus and resizing windows. I also have issues with my cursor disappearing sometimes when it passes over open windows in Windows.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
cyclooctane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I gave up using unity for VMs a while ago, I could not make it work smoothly. Smiley Sad

I am running Vmware workstation 8 on kubuntu 12.04

Regards

Cyclooctane

0 Kudos
ZacB
Contributor
Contributor

It gets better. In Mountain Lion, I can't access Dashboard when Fusion is in Unity because Fusion steals focus whenever changing Spaces. Upgrading to Fusion 4 was a mistake. It didn't really add much functionality, and half of the stuff that is implemented is implemented incorrectly. I should have switched to Parallels.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Personally I don't use Unity because it's the slowest of the three choices and I prefer to use Full Screen in it's own Space as that provides the fastest performance and I like keeping OS X and my other OSes separate and apart.

0 Kudos
Blahdiblah
Contributor
Contributor

This is old news. Have a look at this dicussion http://communities.vmware.com/message/2076559#2076559

It sounds like a fix may be on the way.

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey guys,

So sorry to hear you're having problems with Unity. I won't lie to you... Unity is REALLY hard to get sane and MUCH harder to keep working sanely. What would help me most is if you could please give me as detailed as possible reproduction steps that start with the VM being powered off and Fusion being closed completely. Then please let me know, painfully detailed as possible, step by step, what you're doing and what you're seeing. If I can reproduce the problem here, there's hope we can find the problem and find a fix that doesn't break other things. Smiley Wink And it's extremely helpful if you can also attach or upload somewhere a video that shows what you're doing and seeing. QuickTime can do a screen recording for you if you haven't done this before.

Anyway, again, sorry to hear you're having problems and please get back to me with the info so I can reproduce this here.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

vanRijn, are you a VMware employee and if not what is your association to VMware?

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yep, I'm a VMware employee. Smiley Happy Hm. And I just noticed I somehow lost my VMware badge. *sigh* I'll bug somebody about that.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I thought that you were and you're not the only VMware employee that posts to these forums that I've seen and doesn't have a badge however, We don't need no stinking badges! - YouTube Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

LOL! Epic youtube video is epic! =:P

0 Kudos