VMware Communities
ijustwantunityt
Contributor
Contributor

Unity failure after changing Windows password

Hello all,

I have a client running Quickbooks for Windows (Win10 Pro) using Fusion 8.1.1 on a brand new iMac running 10.11.4. They really like Unity mode and launching Quickbooks from an icon in the dock. Today they asked if I could take the password off of Windows so that launching Quickbooks would be seamless, so I did exactly that - removed the password from the only Windows user (I have Fusion set so Windows has no internet access so I'm not worried about having no password on the Windows user login). For some reason, after making this change Unity is now all screwed up. While the QB icon is still in the dock, clicking it appears to do nothing at all. QB still opens, but there's no way to tell b/c Unity isn't allowing QB to be seen. The only way to know QB gets launched from the dock icon is to switch to Single Window mode, at which point QB is visible. What's even more strange is that Unity seems to work erratically - for example Notepad appears as it should in Unity mode. But now QB won't work at all in Unity mode, and if I open QB in Single Window mode first and then switch to Unity I also don't see the QB icon in the dock. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled Fusion, ditto with QB, created new users on both Mac and Windows side - nothing seems to make any difference. Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before, and if so how do I fix it?? Thanks in advance

-Daniel

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi ijustwantunitytoworkijustwantunitytowork,

Thanks for using Fusion! Do you mean only QB application could not be launched from the dock if enable auto login of Windows? Have you tried other applications? 

0 Kudos
ijustwantunityt
Contributor
Contributor

Unity is really unpredictable now across the board, but it reliably does not work with Quickbooks -- meaning the QB icon is not present in the dock, nor can QB be seen AT ALL when in Unity mode, even though QB is running (which can be proven by switching to Single Window mode). Fusion is literally acting as if it has no idea Quickbooks is running when in Unity. Also, I think I failed to mention in the original post that there are three "standard" users on this machine (who are the ones needing to use QB) and an Administrator account. This worked perfectly for all users just how we wanted it -- until I removed the Windows password. In trying to rectify the problem I have done everything I can think of -- created a new Windows user, a new Mac user, reinstalled Quickbooks, reinstalled Fusion, reinstalled VMware tools, rebooted the Mac and the virtual OS, re-added the password to Windows -- nothing has fixed it. I even went in and removed all traces of Fusion from the Mac before installing it fresh a third time. No dice. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall the OSes.

All insight is appreciated-- thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos