VMware Communities
drkenan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unity Not Working With Boot Camp Partition

Hi guys - I searched the forums for quite some time and pretty much every post I came across said that if Unity is not working to uninstall/reinstall VMware Tools. I've tried twice but to no avail. I'm very new to Fusion but so far I'm very excited/impressed with the trial version - I just want to get everything working properly!

Sorry to ask 2 questions at once, but could someone also point me into the right direction on how to delete my bootcamp partition and strictly use VMware so that I can create snapshots and free up some hard disk space?

OSX 10.5.6

Windows XP SP2 (bootcamp partition)

VMware Fusion 2.0.4

Macbook 1st Gen 13" Core Duo 2 Ghz, 2 GB Memory

Thanks in advance for helping me!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

how to delete my bootcamp partition and strictly use VMware so that I can create snapshots and free up some hard disk space?

If you want you can Import the Boot Camp partition as a separate stand alone file based Virtual Machine or you can install Windows from scratch. After Importing if that is want you choose and you no longer want to use Boot Camp natively or as a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine (not the imported one) and want to reclaim the space that the Boot Camp partition is taking away from the Macintosh HD you can then use the Boot Camp Assistant (/Application/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant) to remove the Boot Camp partition to reclaim that space.

For Importing the Boot Camp partition as a standalone file based Virtual Machine have a look at: VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Creating Virtual Machines > Importing Virtual Machines > Importing the Boot Camp Partition

As far as the existing Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine...

Note: These direction are different then what have previously been posted so read and follow through... Note: These steps assume you have a single Apple default install of Windows on a single Boot Camp partition and a single default VMware Fusion Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine (without a snapshot*) and if you have modified the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine to add additional Hard Drives either Virtual or RAW Disk then do not use these directions unless you backup the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine Package first. *Also note that Fusion 2.0.0 could accidentally have a Snapshot with the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and it shouldn't have been allowed to, so you should check to make sure that condition does not exist as well. (With Fusion closed if the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine Package is over 1 MB in size then you could have a Snapshot in place and do not proceed with these directions.)

===

1. If Fusion is open then close it.

2. In a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) copy and paste the following command, as is, and then press Enter and it will remove the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine meta-data and the Helper Virtual Machine.

Note: This does not effect the Boot Camp partition install of Windows in that it doesn't delete it. Also be sure you copy the entire command line below, as is, from "rm" at the beginning to the " (quote) after the s in Machines.

rm -dfr "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines"

3. Start Fusion (/Applications/VMware Fusion) and select Boot Camp partition on the Virtual Machine Library window and then ctrl-click it and select Delete.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RiteshK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to delete the Boot Camp virtual machine from the Finder .You can follow the below link from youtube which shows how to delete boot camp partition:

Using VMware fusion without bootcamp partition will fix the issue for unity as well.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

how to delete my bootcamp partition and strictly use VMware so that I can create snapshots and free up some hard disk space?

If you want you can Import the Boot Camp partition as a separate stand alone file based Virtual Machine or you can install Windows from scratch. After Importing if that is want you choose and you no longer want to use Boot Camp natively or as a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine (not the imported one) and want to reclaim the space that the Boot Camp partition is taking away from the Macintosh HD you can then use the Boot Camp Assistant (/Application/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant) to remove the Boot Camp partition to reclaim that space.

For Importing the Boot Camp partition as a standalone file based Virtual Machine have a look at: VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Creating Virtual Machines > Importing Virtual Machines > Importing the Boot Camp Partition

As far as the existing Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine...

Note: These direction are different then what have previously been posted so read and follow through... Note: These steps assume you have a single Apple default install of Windows on a single Boot Camp partition and a single default VMware Fusion Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine (without a snapshot*) and if you have modified the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine to add additional Hard Drives either Virtual or RAW Disk then do not use these directions unless you backup the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine Package first. *Also note that Fusion 2.0.0 could accidentally have a Snapshot with the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and it shouldn't have been allowed to, so you should check to make sure that condition does not exist as well. (With Fusion closed if the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine Package is over 1 MB in size then you could have a Snapshot in place and do not proceed with these directions.)

===

1. If Fusion is open then close it.

2. In a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) copy and paste the following command, as is, and then press Enter and it will remove the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine meta-data and the Helper Virtual Machine.

Note: This does not effect the Boot Camp partition install of Windows in that it doesn't delete it. Also be sure you copy the entire command line below, as is, from "rm" at the beginning to the " (quote) after the s in Machines.

rm -dfr "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines"

3. Start Fusion (/Applications/VMware Fusion) and select Boot Camp partition on the Virtual Machine Library window and then ctrl-click it and select Delete.

0 Kudos
drkenan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You guys are rockin' awesome! Thanks a ton for the help. I'll see if I can get down to business today. Hopefully I'll be able to help out a newbie one day. :smileycool:

0 Kudos