VMware Communities
Shotster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unity Disabled in Trial Version

I just downloaded Fusion to try it out. I'd been using Parallels. I imported the Parallels VM and was up and running in short order. However, I can't copy and paste between my Mac and Windows apps, and Enter Unity is disabled. I've reinstalled the VM tools a couple times to no avail.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.5 on a Mac Pro with Fusion 2.0.1 and WinXP as the guest OS. Anyone know how I can get Unity to work and/or copy and paste text between my Mac and Windows?

Thanks,

-Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

FWIW There is no Trial Version of Fusion! What you download is the normal fully functional release version of Fusion and you can get a Serial Number that works for 30 days or use a purchased Serial Number.

You can download any of the Fusion 1.x or 2.x .dmg Disk Image Files from Download VMware Fusion and just scroll down the page and click on the appropriate Download link.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MandarMS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

One quick question... have you uninstalled parallels Tools in Windows VM?

Shotster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oi! Now that's something that never occurred to me. I just tried and can't do it from the Fusion VM, so I'll launch Parallels, uninstall the tools, and then re-import the VM into fusion to see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion; I'll post back here as to how it goes.

-Steve

0 Kudos
Shotster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, it didn't work. One thing to note is that it takes unusually long for the VM tools icon to become enabled after Windows has started. It will have the red circle and diagonal line over it initially, and eventually it becomes enabled. I don't know if that is typical or not, but it seems to take unusually long.

Anyway, this is rather frustrating and time-consuming. I was looking forward to leaving Parallels and the frequent kernel panics behind. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Steve

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It will have the red circle and diagonal line over it initially, and eventually it becomes enabled. I don't know if that is typical or not, but it seems to take unusually long.

The transition from the no symbol to normal icon is a normal progression however the amount of time may have to do with other things happing in the OS at the same time. Although some have reported extremely slow boot time and getting to a working Desktop. Fusion 2.0.1 was supposed to correct this however maybe not in all cases.

Anyway, this is rather frustrating and time-consuming. I was looking forward to leaving Parallels and the frequent kernel panics behind. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Fusion 2 is not without it's own issues and some others have reported the same problem with Unity and Copy & Paste not working in Fusion 2.0.1 and that either downgrading to 2.0.0 or 1.x resolved the issue. Also using Fusion 2.0.1 with VMware Tool from Fusion 2.0.0 has been reported to work for some.

Have a look at and the post the follows this in the thread.

0 Kudos
Shotster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. So then the next logical question is, how I go about getting my hands on version 2.0.0? I'm using the trial version which I downloaded just last night, and I see no way to download the previous release.

-Steve

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

FWIW There is no Trial Version of Fusion! What you download is the normal fully functional release version of Fusion and you can get a Serial Number that works for 30 days or use a purchased Serial Number.

You can download any of the Fusion 1.x or 2.x .dmg Disk Image Files from Download VMware Fusion and just scroll down the page and click on the appropriate Download link.

0 Kudos
Shotster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! Uninstalling 2.0.1 and installing 2.0.0 solved the Unity problem. I will be evaluating Fusion over the next few weeks to see if I want to switch from Parallels.

-Steve

0 Kudos