VMware Communities
tsl90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Uninstalling VMWare Fusion 2.0.8

Hit a snag attempting to uninstall VMWare Fusion.

I am following these inst:

VMware KB: Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion

But I can't find this file:

Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion 3.x and earlier

1. Run the uninstall script named Uninstall VMware Fusion, which is located in [Macintosh HD]/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/.

I am in my Application Support file. No VMWare fusion file is there.  I've searched with finder for Uninstall VMWare Fusion - nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi tsl90,

It looks like the instructions in that KB article are incorrect (or at least misleading).  The uninstaller is not in your home directory's Library/Application Support/ as the immediately-following instructions suggest... rather, it is in your boot drive's /Library/Application Support/, which you can get to by going into Finder and choosing Go > Computer, then double-clicking Macintosh HD (or your boot drive), then Library and then Application Support.  (The KB article gives the correct location in the first step, which you have quoted above, but it then gives incorrect instructions on how to get to that location!)

If you're sure that you are already looking in the right place (i.e. outside of your Home or Users folder), another approach is to use the uninstaller provided on the original VMware Fusion disk image.  Download the VMware Fusion 2.0.8 disk image again if you need to, then open the disk image, and then double-click on Uninstall VMware Fusion in there.

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Why you do not simply drag and drop your app into your mac garbage?

Regards,

Julien

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Julien,

VMware Fusion 3.0 was the first version with a self-contained application bundle; Earlier versions need to be explicitly installed and uninstalled.  Dragging the Fusion 2.0.x application to the trash will leave behind all the Fusion networking components and so forth.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi Darius,

Thank you for the explanation Smiley Happy.

Regards,

Julien.

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
0 Kudos
tsl90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that's why. Thanks.

Anyone know how to find the uninstall file or what to do without it?

TL

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi tsl90,

It looks like the instructions in that KB article are incorrect (or at least misleading).  The uninstaller is not in your home directory's Library/Application Support/ as the immediately-following instructions suggest... rather, it is in your boot drive's /Library/Application Support/, which you can get to by going into Finder and choosing Go > Computer, then double-clicking Macintosh HD (or your boot drive), then Library and then Application Support.  (The KB article gives the correct location in the first step, which you have quoted above, but it then gives incorrect instructions on how to get to that location!)

If you're sure that you are already looking in the right place (i.e. outside of your Home or Users folder), another approach is to use the uninstaller provided on the original VMware Fusion disk image.  Download the VMware Fusion 2.0.8 disk image again if you need to, then open the disk image, and then double-click on Uninstall VMware Fusion in there.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
tsl90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

I'll give those a try.

TL

0 Kudos