VMware Communities
amitpuri24
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstalled Fusion 11 (due to it constantly crashing), now trying to reinstall again but unable to

See attached screenshots of the issues and the MacOS version I'm running.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. It's probably something very obvious and so please assist if you know how to resolve.

Once I installed the dmg. file, I dragged and dropped this into the installer (where it say upload/install disk image here). Everything else was pretty much just clicking through and left as whatever was selected by default.

*moderator: deleted screenshot showing user's hardware serial number*

4 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks like you haven't installed a guest operating system. Or if you're trying to, it's not liking whatever image you're trying to use.

Did you download an ISO file and drag that onto the 'New VM' installer wizard? Which ISO are you trying to use?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
amitpuri24
Contributor
Contributor

So I'm trying to install a Windows VM on my Mac. I assumed the .dmg file is what I needed to install but that doesn't seem to work. Is it an .ISO file I should be installing?

I've had a look online and installed the MacOS Catalina .app file, as I believe this is actually what I need to do an install in the Fusion installer. However, I can't find the .app file anywhere. I've checked Applications and searched elsewhere. I'm assuming it is "Macintosh HD" within Disk Utility but I don't know how to upload that in the fusion installer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Fusion is just an application which will ALLOW you to create/run other computer systems while you still run your primary OS (Mac in this case).  If you want to create a Windows virtual machine, you still need to provide the Windows installation media in order to install it.  VMware merely creates the blank hardware on which to install an OS onto.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This should help: VMware Knowledge Base

(If not Windows 10, the same principle applies)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog