VMware Communities
jkigs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Uninstall current version of XP in VM Fusion

I inadvertently installed a copy of XP in my beta version of VM Fusion that is currently being used on another machine. I want to uninstall that version and install a copy that I have a new licence for. How do I uninstall XP?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All you need to do is to change the license key.

Begin by opening the Registry Editor and navigating to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

In the right pane, right-click the ODBETimer binary value and select Modify. Change at least one character of this value to either a number from 0 to 9 or to a letter from A to F, then click OK and close the Registry Editor. This renders the current product key invalid and deactivates Windows.

Now, it’s time to reactivate Windows using your new product key. Click Start | Run and enter the command:

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe /a

where %systemroot% is your Windows directory. In many cases, this command will look like:

C:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

At this point, Windows will launch the Product Activation Wizard.[/i]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All you need to do is to change the license key.

Begin by opening the Registry Editor and navigating to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

In the right pane, right-click the ODBETimer binary value and select Modify. Change at least one character of this value to either a number from 0 to 9 or to a letter from A to F, then click OK and close the Registry Editor. This renders the current product key invalid and deactivates Windows.

Now, it’s time to reactivate Windows using your new product key. Click Start | Run and enter the command:

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe /a

where %systemroot% is your Windows directory. In many cases, this command will look like:

C:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

At this point, Windows will launch the Product Activation Wizard.[/i]

0 Kudos
jkigs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it! Thanks.

0 Kudos