VMware Communities
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to use clipboard between Vista VM and Leopard

Greetings,

I have 2.0.1 running with a Parallels converted Vista VM and everything seems to work ok except that I am unable to cut and paste text between the VM and the Host. I have this ability with the XP VMs I have running, but not this Vista VM. I've tried unistalling and re-installing the VMWare tools several times with no change in results.

Any other thoughts?

Late 2007 MacBook Pro 2.6 + 4GB + 10.5.5

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I am also not able to drag and drop between the host and VM.

Anyone?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There's something wrong with your Tools installation. Did you try rebooting the guest in between uninstall/reinstall? Did you uninstall Parallels equivalent of Tools before importing the virtual machine?

0 Kudos
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, and yes. The Parallels tools were completely uninstalled, and I've tried multiple iterations of uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling the VMware tools. One change I did have to make (from advice I located somewhere in this forum) was disabling the pciBridgeX.present = "FALSE" within the VMX file because there were 30+ iterations of pciRootPort showing up in the VM after conversion and the VM was unusably slow.

0 Kudos
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

I hope someone has something else I can try.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

You might try this: install VMware Tools when they are installed, but choose modify install and expand the drivers section and make sure the VMCI driver is selected to be installed. Then restart the VM and give copy/paste a try. It might help.

0 Kudos
slogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

One way to find out what is going on might be to collect logs from VMware Tools. To do so in Vista, there is a file named tools.conf located here:

c:\Program Data\VMware\VMware Tools

In XP, the location is c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ Application Data\VMWare\Vmware Tools

Open that file in your favorite editor, and add the end of it the following lines:

log = "TRUE"

log.file = "c:\toolslog.txt"

(you can use any path you like for log.file, that is just a suggestion).

You should get a couple of log files after restarting. One will be the file you specify, the other will be the same but with a number appended to it, e.g., c:\toolslog.txt.123 -- this number is the pid of vmwareuser.exe if you are curious.

If you could do the above, duplicate the problem, and then attach the logs, that would be awesome.

0 Kudos
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply - sorry it has taken me a while to get back to this.

After enabling logging, I have the following interesting entries in the logfile:

:SyncDriver_Init: Processor Architecture type 0.

:SyncDriverIsAvailable: Failed to open the SYNC driver. Error 2

:SyncDriver_Init: Sync Driver not loaded.

:FoundryToolsDaemon: Failed to init SyncDriver, skipping command handlers.

:Registering callback 'f'

Then later I get quite a few of the following:

:Unable to open the process instance <process_name>

:Read instance counter for <process_name>

where <process_name> are processes running on the system (e.g. System, smss, csrss, wininit, winlogon, services,lsass, etc.)

The log file is pretty long, so I assumed it would be unwelcome in the post. Let me know if there is any other 'meat' from the logs I should be looking for.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
slogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Those log entries, at first glance, look pretty typical. Could you attach the entire log as a zip -- it would be good to see. Should be two of them, one with a pid suffix, one without.

Thanks,

syd

0 Kudos
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry about that - I guess I could have just attached the file.

I don't have two log files - only one (toolslog.txt).

0 Kudos
slogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Interesting, no toolslog.txt.nnnn, where n is some number?

0 Kudos
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately not. I get the old log as .BAK, but the date/time stamp is from the previous boot.

0 Kudos
jyndigo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am having the same issues, but with a WinXP VM. Went through all the suggestions, but still not working. Do you guys want another data point? If so, I can upload my log files and system configuration. If not, I didn't want to clutter up the boards/threads.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

From my perspective - anything that would help resolve this issue for me would be appreciated as long as you're having the same issue!

0 Kudos
jyndigo
Contributor
Contributor

Sure, no problem.

System: Oct 2006 MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM (max for this model) running OS X Leopard 10.5.5.

Fusion upgrade path: 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, 2.0.0, 2.0.1

WinXP VM: Created from Windows XP Pro SP3 installed on a 32 GB Boot Camp partition. Run from the partition. It has not been imported.

Since upgrading to Fusion 2.0.1, I have been unable to cut & paste simple text and unable to drag and drop files between OS X and the WinXP VM. I have tried various iterations of uninstalling VMTools, rebooting, and reinstalling with no luck.

I use Spaces and usually run the WInXP VM fullscreen in one of the Spaces. I do not use Unity mode.

Attached are the log files from my last session (zipped).

Should I be able to see the VMwareUser.exe process in the process list of the Windows Task Manager? I see VMwareService.exe and VMwareTray.exe, but I do not see VMwareUser.exe. The log files seem to indicate that VMwareUser.exe has started as there is a PID assigned, but again, I do not see any process with this PID. I do not get any error messages indicating that the process has crashed like other users have encountered.

If I manually try to start VMwareUser.exe (C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMwareUser.exe) I get another log file with a new PID, but nothing shows up in the process list. The log files that I have attached reflect this. .2020 is the intial log file from startup, and .280 is the log file created when I tried to manually launch VMwareUser.exe.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other info. Here's to getting this resolved!

0 Kudos
slogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for the logs. We are actively working on this problem.

0 Kudos
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

After reading jydingo's post, I too tried to manually start VMwareUser.exe in my Vista VM, but it still didn't result in a secondary .XXX <PID> log file. I had the same results in that VMwareUser.exe didn't stay running - but still have only that one log file.

Just additional info.

Thanks!

0 Kudos