VMware Communities
MosesMo
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to update VMware tools

Hi guys,

I need your help urgently -

I'm unable to update VMware tools, which prevents me the use of some important functions.

I tried to re-install VMware Fusion, read guides on the internet - nothing helped.

Attached a screenshot of the error message I see when I'm trying to update VMware tools.

I don't even understand the error - the installation seeks for itself? How is that even possible?

I also tried to delete the VMware Tools via "Install/Remove programs", but the same error appears at the very beginning of the uninstallation phase.

General info:

Host is Mac OS El Capitan

Guest is Windows 7 32 bit

VMware version is 8.0.1

The VM was an import from a previous version (7.1 I think - I had the same problem there too but didn't pay much attention to it back then).

Been having some issues with Windows Update as well - some updates fail no matter what I do - maybe it has a connection to the VMware Tools?

Isn't there an executable file I can download from an external source that will update those tools? Maybe there problem stems from the source VMware tries to get its tools..

Thanks a lot!

25 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The windows installer name I refered to earlier is called "TrustedInstaller.exe" and can only be seen with an administrative account (Show processes from all users)

By default VMware Fusion will try to update the VMware Tools on boot of your guest OS to the latest version.

You can't see that in msconfig, it is handled at another layer, vmware tools takes care of triggering the install, if vmware tools is running and Fusion has the setting to update (

If you start the setup from the attached DVD and click "Next" you should get a menu with:

"Modify"

"Repair"

"Remove"

pastedImage_0.png

You should select remove.

Are you saying that you're not even getting this screen after starting the setup.exe from Windows  Explorer on the DVD/CD and clicking "next"?

I have no idea what you mean with "tried to uninstall VMware tools via windows software install/repair service"

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
MosesMo
Contributor
Contributor

I did locate TrustedInstaller.exe running and terminated it but the problem persists.

Now, I can't even run the .exe file I've downloaded from your last link in order to try to remove the tools (like you instructed me in that screenshot), I get this error: "Program Comparability Assistant: it is possible the program hasn't been installed properly. Reinstall by using recommended preferences or approve that program was installed properly" (that's a message in my language so I didn't attach a ss, so the original wording might be different from what you know).

Edit: After a restart (which was really necessary as the CPU reached 100% after the first try...), when trying again to mount that old tools, I see for a second that installation window and that it vanishes, without any other messages.

And btw, I've never seen that window you SSed - Modify-Repair-Remove. I only have Typical-Complete-Custom (maybe that means that I don't even have the tools installed?)

I really don't know what else can be done... Spent way too much time figuring this out.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Terminating the trustedInstaller process was not something I suggested, if it runs it means you've got other installs that need to complete first.

Try completing the windows updates first. Anyways..

If you don't even see the remove option then yes VMware Tools might not even be installed or at least not properly installed.

Right now it might be best to have VMware Support look into this and open a ticket with them.

To get official support please go to: Fusion Support and open a ticket at File a Support Request

Your Fusion purchase comes with complimentary support, so the support from them is included (no additional cost).

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

One thing I've not considered so far at all, but... if you have an antivirus product installed in your guest then it might interfere with the VMware Tools install.

Quite frankly I've not heard about it interfering with a VMware Tools install before, but it certainly is a possibility as it does sometimes interfere with a Workstation install on Windows hosts.

Temporarily disabling antivirus might be sufficient, but sometimes it even needs to be uninstalled, depending on the product used.

-

Wil

0 Kudos
MosesMo
Contributor
Contributor

I have Avira AntiVir, disabled it, still not working.

Guess I'll contact support - but thanks a lot for all the time and effort Wil! Much appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
amzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi MosesMo,

Welcome to Fusion community!

On Windows, most VMware products will refuse to install if a previous version of the product is detected on the machine. The msi installation engine handles detection of a product by checking for its installer registration information in the registry. Under normal conditions, using Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the existing product will allow the new product to install. However, there are cases when a user may need to force an install even if an existing install is detected. The most common reason for this is if an installed VMware product did not uninstall cleanly. i.e. The computer hung or reset during the uninstall process or if a bug in the uninstaller prevents it from running.

To force the new installer to install over the top of the existing install, the msi installer registration information needs to be removed.  Please try below steps:

1. mount the Tools ISO  (Tools Iso location: /Application/VMware Fusion/Show Package Contents/Contents/Library/isoimages/windows.iso)

2. execute 'setup.exe /c'

That will help clean up the registry. After that, you may install VMware Tools without error.

Regards,

Amanda

0 Kudos