VMware Communities
sev7en
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to register Fusion Beta2

Dear Dev Team,

I tried a lot of times to register my downloaded copy of Fusion Beta2 (latest beta) but anytimes I try to insert the give SN, it says that the serial has not allowed.

I've a MacBook Pro C2D 17" 2.33GHz 2Gb RAM powered by MacOSX 10.4.8.

The application won't register itself.

As far as I read it looks like a bug of old releases... does it is right? And if so, how do I do to register it?

Cheers,

Fabrizio Degni

0 Kudos
21 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry you're having this problem! First, a simple thing to check: are you sure that your Num Lock key is not accidentally on while you are typing the serial number? I realize that this must sound silly, but sometimes people make this mistake.

Did you install beta2 on top of a previous beta? If so, you might try first explicitly running the uninstaller script and then doing a clean re-installation. To uninstall Fusion explicitly: In Finder, choose Applications, and then ctrl-click on VMware Fusion. Choose Show Package Contents[/b]. Then drill down into Contents, then Resources; then double-click on VMware-uninstaller.tool. After this script runs, re-run the Fusion beta2 installer.

Don't worry: the uninstaller won't delete your virtual machines. But they must all be powered off before you run the installer, and you must have exited Fusion.

0 Kudos
YRLS
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here.

I tried to install VMware Fusion both on iMac and Macboock but I have "Invalid serial number" message.

I uninstalled and install again without success...

0 Kudos
dotel
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem when updating. I had to uninstall first. After that no problem worked flawlessly.

0 Kudos
YRLS
Contributor
Contributor

I don't really know why I have this problem. I had it with previous beta too so I've never been able to test VMWare Fusion Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When you register to download VMware Fusion, the last screen contains a Serial Number and a download link. You should save this serial number.

There are two ways to install this serial number: either during the installation of Fusion, or else while Fusion is running by pulling down the VMware Fusion[/b] menu and choosing Licensing...[/b]. In either case, you can paste your serial number into the box.

0 Kudos
YRLS
Contributor
Contributor

I tried many times with serial given by vmware download page.

Here attached you can find a picture of the issue as proof of the problem

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello, sev7en and YRLS. I notice from YRLS's screen image that his computer is in the Italian locale. sev7en, is your Mac also in the Italian locale?

sev7en, are you using your MacBook Pro's built-in keyboard, or an external one? Regardless, what keyboard layout is it using? (Italian, US, ...)

YRLS, what kind of keyboard are you using?

I tried to reproduce this problem by putting my own Mac into the Italian locale and reinstalling Fusion. Unfortunately, il software è stato installato correttamente!

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Hi folks,

If you look in the file:

/var/log/install.log

you'll see that this is actually a bug in the network setup portion of VMware Fusion. This issue causes our other utilities, including the serial number registration utility, to fail to load.

You can actually proceed past the serial number section of the installer (just leave it blank and hit Continue), then register your product by running Fusion and selecting the menu VMware Fusion -> Licensing.

Unfortunately, if this bug is triggered, you currently won't have networking in your virtual machines; we're working on a workaround for that.

0 Kudos
YRLS
Contributor
Contributor

I tried copy and paste too and changing keyboard layout without success.

I think I have to wait for a new beta version that solve this bug.

0 Kudos
sev7en
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

yes, you are right! Italian MBP as well as Italian keyboard layout but I do a copy/paste then it's exactly has prompted by VMware's site.

Does it is a bug for sure? What's new about a new beta or fix?

p.s: of course many thanks!

0 Kudos
sev7en
Contributor
Contributor

I hope so... I'd like to try it really

0 Kudos
Spamkip
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. I also own a MacBook Pro, 2,33GHz, 2GB Ram and OS X 10.4.9, using the Dutch version

Pasting the serial after installation also gives an error.

0 Kudos
steveg999
Contributor
Contributor

has anybody found any workaround? does anybody from vmware have an answer for us?

We've been invited to test this product, we have been registering, downloading, installing, receiving a serial number....

so, guys from vmware, is it really so hard to give an answer, or a new serial number?

toc toc...

0 Kudos
Spamkip
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstall Fusion, set your language to english, run the installer and enter the serial, it worked for me

(After installing Fusion you can set your language to the original language again Smiley Happy)

0 Kudos
steveg999
Contributor
Contributor

hi spamkip, and thanks 4 your help

I've tried to change my system language, keyoard and units both to us and uk english, I've tried entering the serial through the installation process and the "licensing" menu, bot nope...

it doesn't work

if it's not asking too much, I'd have a pair of questions:

is your s.n. the one ending with "4ana4", like all the other ones?

how did you turn your language into english? only through the "international" setting or did you do anything else?

thanks again.

s.

0 Kudos
Spamkip
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, there is only one serial, I think. I've set my language to english trough the "international" setting, just by draging "English" to the top of the Languages-list, that's it.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Hi steve,

As I asked earlier in the thread, please post or send me a private message with your install.log file after you run the installer and fail to enter the serial number, so we can see what the actual error is.

You can also just click Continue to move past the serial number screen, then use the menu VMware Fusion -> Licensing... to enter your serial number inside the program if this happens.

This is most likely an issue with our installer failing to find a private IP address for your virtual machines' NAT network. If you post your install.log, we can confirm that. We're working on that issue internally now.

0 Kudos
Spamkip
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is still there with Beta3, using the menu VMware Fusion -> Licensing also doesn't work, i'll pm you my install.log now.

0 Kudos
sev7en
Contributor
Contributor

It's funny but I have the same issue with latest Beta4!!!

0 Kudos