VMware Communities
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to recognize any USB device

(This is my third time writing this post after two attempts on the Rich Text tab. In Firefox, delete keeps going back and I loose the content. Very, very frustrating. This does not happen on the Plain Text tab.)

I connected a Fujitsu fi-5110c scanner to my Vista VM and got the usual "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and WIndows does not recognize it." So I reinstalled the drivers and rebooted. With the scanner connected, the reboot froze the progress bar and sat there, until I disconnected the "Fujitsu USB Device" in the status bar. Then the OS booted right in. Still not connected. So I connected the "Apple Built-in iSight device" and got the same result. Now there are two unknown USB devices in Device Manager. It looks like I cannot connect any USB devices.

Is this a known issue? Are there any work arounds? Here is my version info:

Host: 15" MBP, 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.5.4

Fusion: 1.1.3 (94249)

Guest: Vista Ultimate, Build 6001, SP 1

VMware Tools: Version e.x.p., build 107508

0 Kudos
9 Replies
maddymac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reinstall VMware Tools in Vista VM...

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Tools: Version e.x.p., build 107508

Uninstall VMware Tools from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel in Windows and reboot the Virtual Machine twice before installing VMware Tools from the version of Fusion you're running as it look like the version of VMware Tools is expired.

flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys. I'm uninstalling VMware Tools as we speak. I guess the

"Notify me about updates" feature isn't always that accurate.

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Now my VMware Tools for Windows is Version 7.6.3, build-94249, but I get the same behavior when attaching either the Apple iSight device or the scanner. Any more suggestions?

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

This machine used to be a Boot Camp VM, then I used Converter to bring it P2V, then I uninstalled the Boot Camp Assistant from inside the VM. Could that have screwed up the drivers?

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Do you think it would be dangerous or useless to reinstall the Boot Camp drivers in hopes of getting the USB support back in shape so I can use this scanner again?

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Hey! I'm pretty sure my problem is the same as the one described in . After lots of fiddling, the Apple iSight issue only worked when I tweak my RAM down to 2 GB. The scanner is at work, so it will have to wait till tomorrow.

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Yup. After dialing my RAM down from 2864 MB to 2024 MB, the scanner now works.

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Grrrr, changing the amount of RAM deactivated Vista. Wish this bug were fixed in a release version or Fusion 2.0 gets released ...

0 Kudos