VMware Communities
soundsreasonabl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to open file "/Users/XXXXXXX/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk":

Hi

I'm new to the Mac world am running Mojave and I'm suffering from being unable to boot up Fusion 11 on a regular basis with Windows 10, the message above pops up in a box when I try

I've deleted and then reinstalled my Window 10 virtual machine many times and have managed to get it running for 3 days running max. I do power down my iMac each night and it only happens after a restart of my iMac Yesterday I had the message appear when booting into windows, simply restarted my Imac and it was fine.

Today  thought I was back to square one as I couldn't get it to start however after closing down and then reopening  a few times  I managed to get it working.

I have seen solutions ( Unable to open file ".../Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk": The system cannot find the file specifi... )which to be honest involved creating/running a script and was way above my head as I wouldn't know where to start.

I've also seen the suggestion about going into VM Machine/Settings/Advanced and changing Administrative priviledges to Always Ask - Mine already is.

I haven't activated my copy of Windows 10 just incase it causes me further problems if I have to reinstall again and again.

This seems to be such a common problem, is the an official  solution or something I have missed

Any help appreciated

Thanks for looking

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Go to System Preference> Security & Privacy>Privacy and select the "Full Disk Access" tab on the left. Add the Vmware application and restart it when prompted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Go to System Preference> Security & Privacy>Privacy and select the "Full Disk Access" tab on the left. Add the Vmware application and restart it when prompted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

soundsreasonabl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Heralds, for your reply.

I do still get the message come up every few days, however I do manage to start up Windows in VMWare if I restart my pc.

C

0 Kudos
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also check this KB VMware Knowledge Base  2151780.

On one of my systems I can no longer load under Catalina with SIP enabled.

0 Kudos