VMware Communities
kopthat
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to open file Windows XP Professional.vmdk : The system cannot find the file specified.

I have a Time Machine copy of a vmwarevm package and one that I copied to an external disk when the machine was powered off,

and my hard drive had to be replaced.

I have reinstalled Fusion 3.1.2 and upgraded to Fusion 4.1

and copied the vmwarevm back to the new hard drive but when I go to open it I get the following error

Unable to open file "/Users/rjoiner/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmdk": The system cannot find the file specified.

I have done a Show Contents on the virtual machine package and there are several Windows XP Professional-f001.vmdk to -f026.vmdk

but in the sequence -f013.vmdk is missing.

What are my options do I have to try and locate the -f013.vmdk, or is my virtual machine trashed and I have to clone the XP Machine again

and re-intall all the other apps (about a days work) ?

Also what is a fail safe way to backup my Windows XP virtual machine, its about 53GB

Cheers

Robert

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kopthat
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to locate a copy of the file Windows XP Professional-f013.vmdk in one of the copy of the package

that was in trash and copied that back in to the package.

And it asked on startup if I copied or moved the machine and I selected copied it

and so far so good.

As far as back up goes, I take it that you can copied the .vmwarevm package but you need to ensure the virtual machine

is powered off, and verify the vmdk file sequence in the copy ?

0 Kudos
agen020j4
Contributor
Contributor

My original issue was not being able to start the virtual machine after restoring my Windows XP from the latest time machine backup. I got the following error message:

'Unable to open file "/Users/George/Desktop/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmdk":
The system cannot find the file specified

Ok'

I solved this issue by restoring all of the oldest virtual machine files from the earliest full backup I had. I then restored all of the latest virtual machine files from the latest backup and then copied and pasted these files over the oldest virtual machine files which I had restored. I then tried to start my virtual machine and it started working.

You see, my virtual machine was split into 2GB segments and the time machine backup was only backing up the files that had changed.

I hope this helps

0 Kudos