VMware Communities
DanielBurkhead
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to open file. Fusion will not start

I only use Win7 on my iMac for running my home inspection software. Today, when needing to complete a report....I tried to open VMWare to run my software. I got this message and it will not open.

Unable to open file "/Users/danielburkhead/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7 x64.vmwarevm/Virtual Disk.vmdk":

The system cannot find the file specified

Suggestions? 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mormor58
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem last week.  Finally talked to a VMware "expert" who accused me of deleting files.  While the message only shows 1 file missing, he said there were several files missing.  I had already reinstalled Fusion 7 before he called, which obviously didn't include the missing files, and because he wasn't able to help me, ended up having to reinstall Windows 7 as well.  You might want to do some reinstalls as well.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
DanielBurkhead
Contributor
Contributor

Attached is support file.

0 Kudos
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Delete all the .lck in your virtual machine's folder, it may be able to resolve your problem.

And I also found similar issue in another thread with its solution for your reference: https://communities.vmware.com/message/2277136

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

Delete all the .lck in your virtual machine's folder, it may be able to resolve your problem.

And I also found similar issue in another thread with its solution for your reference:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2277136

If it were me, I would make a backup of your virtual machine folder before deleting any files from it. I am sure that zhus assumed that, but it helps to say it as a reminder.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid there's not much you can do unless you have a backup. According to the file list, 18 of the 31 required .vmdk data files (which make up the virtual disk) are missing in the VM's folder/package.

André

0 Kudos