VMware Communities
jrfernandes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to login in Windows 7 (Kind of desperate in here...)

Hi everyone.

I'm having a major issue, searched all over the net, and these discussion forum are my last resource.

I was running VMWare Fusion 4.1.1 on my MacBook Pro where I have Windows 7 installed. Everything worked perfectly for more that one year.

Yesterday, I shutted down windows and now I just can't log into Windows anymore. Here's whats happening:

1- VMWare fusion starts up like it always did;

2- Windows 7 logon screen appears normally;

3- The cursor is already blinking on the password field;

4- I just can't type my password!! -> There's no response, nothing.... The cursor just keeps blinking.

Other info related to this logon screen:

I can move my mouse perfectly, but I  can't click on any part of the screen (I can't click on the on screen keyboard icon, or anywhere else).

I kindly ask for any support you can suggest, because half my life is inside my Windows VM.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jrfernandes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally I managed to solve this, so I thought I could post my conclusions and hope this could help someone.

Like I said, I wasn't able to login into Windows 7 because the keyboard did not respond. So, I thought it could be something related to VMWare or Windows itself.

I tried to isolate each of my assumptions so I downloaded Parallels Desktop (14 days trial) and imported my existing VMWare machine.

After I imported my existing VM, Parallels desktop was giving me the exact same problem.

So, Windows 7 was the next one to blame. It turns out that windows automatic updates had restarted my machine and it was in an insconsistent state.

After a couple of hours, I finally F8 while windows is booting, and selected the option "Restore to last know good configuration" and now I'm able to login everytime my VM is shut down.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried starting Windows 7 in Safe Mode and if yes are you still not able to login?

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Note: You may also need to press the fn key with the F8 key depending on how you have Keyboard preferences set in OS X and or VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
Coach300
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As long as you have the ability to either pull up the Fusion menubar, or have the Virtual Machine Library window open, you should be able to send "Ctrl-Alt-Del" using the "Virtual Machine" menu. Give this a shot.

0 Kudos
jrfernandes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good morning:

Even in safe mode, the keyboard does not respond either.

The symptoms are exactly the same.

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards

0 Kudos
jrfernandes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good morning:

I can pull the menu bar, but even sending Ctrl-Alt-Del does not produce anything.

The mouse moves, the cursor blinks but nothing happens.

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards

0 Kudos
jrfernandes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally I managed to solve this, so I thought I could post my conclusions and hope this could help someone.

Like I said, I wasn't able to login into Windows 7 because the keyboard did not respond. So, I thought it could be something related to VMWare or Windows itself.

I tried to isolate each of my assumptions so I downloaded Parallels Desktop (14 days trial) and imported my existing VMWare machine.

After I imported my existing VM, Parallels desktop was giving me the exact same problem.

So, Windows 7 was the next one to blame. It turns out that windows automatic updates had restarted my machine and it was in an insconsistent state.

After a couple of hours, I finally F8 while windows is booting, and selected the option "Restore to last know good configuration" and now I'm able to login everytime my VM is shut down.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Turn on your computer and immediately begin pressing your <F8> key at the top of your keyboard. You will need to press it 2 or 3 time per second until a screen opens showing safe mode options. Select Safe Mode with Networking and

sign in to windows normally. Click on the start button, click on Programs, Click on Accessories, click on System Tools, click on System Restore.

You will find instructions here to restore your computer to an earlier time.

Select a restore point date that is before you encountered any problems then click restore.

0 Kudos