VMware Communities
vmn3wb3
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install vmware tools in Fedora 6 (zod)

I've installed fedora 6 (zod) in vmware fusion with no issues with the install. The issue I'm having is the vmware tools image doesn't get mounted as described in the install guide. I've tried downloading vmware workstation to extract the tools (based on this article http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/howto/fedora-core-6-vmware-tools-install.html), but I can't find the vmware tools anywhere in the package. I also tried installing vmware-any-any-update98.tar.gz (based on this thread http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-96101.html) with no luck. I can't find a download for vmware tools online anywhere.. Has anyone hit this issue? Can anyone give me some help with finding the vmware tools and installing them? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CH

0 Kudos
12 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Did you issue the mount command? Did it succeed or fail?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMware tools should come with Fusion, look under /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/isoimages/

0 Kudos
vmn3wb3
Contributor
Contributor

There's no cd to mount to. Fedora doesn't see the vmware tools as a cd image like the install guide describes. I tried running the mount commands, but is says invalid mount point.

0 Kudos
vmn3wb3
Contributor
Contributor

Cool, I'll try extracting the tools from the location you mentioned.

0 Kudos
vmn3wb3
Contributor
Contributor

I can't find these subfolders inside the vmware package or in the library directory.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I can't find these subfolders inside the vmware

package or in the library directory.

If these files don't exist, this would be the problem. Are you sure you're looking in the right place (the system-wide library folder, not the one in your home directory)? It should contain several iso images, which you can connect to a VM. You shouldn't have to extract anything on OS X.

0 Kudos
vmn3wb3
Contributor
Contributor

Are you referring to /lib inside the fedora 6 vm? There isn't a vmware or isoimages subdirectiry located there. I downloaded VMware-workstation-6.0.0-45731.x86_64.tar.gz, and that does contain a /lib/isoimages subfolder. It contains linux.iso and linux.iso.sig (not sure if that helps or not..). Should I just try creating another vm with fedora and see if the directories show up?

0 Kudos
vmn3wb3
Contributor
Contributor

I think I've got it figured out. I extracted the files from the vmware workstation tar file using this exerpt:

b) If you have VMware-workstation-5.5.2-29772.tar.gz on disk Show answer

Make sure VMware-workstation-5.5.2-29772.tar.gz is on disk inside the VM.

Extract the VMware Tools iso

tar --strip-components=3 -zxvf VMware-workstation-5.5.2-29772.tar.gz \

vmware-distrib/lib/isoimages/linux.iso

Create a temporary mount point

mkdir /mnt/vmtools-temp

Mount the iso image

mount -o loop linux.iso /mnt/vmtools-temp

Copy VMware Tools from the mount

cp /mnt/vmtools-temp/VMwareTools-5.5.2-29772.tar.gz /tmp/

Extract VMware Tools to /tmp/

tar -C /tmp -zxvf /mnt/vmtools-temp/VMwareTools-5.5.2-29772.tar.gz

Tidy up

umount /mnt/vmtools-temp

rmdir /mnt/vmtools-temp

rm linux.iso

Now run the installer

cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib

./vmware-install.pl

When asked Do you want to run vmware-config-tools.pl?, answer "Yes".

http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/howto/fedora-core-6-vmware-tools-install.html

I tried this before, but had issues unless I was in the specific directory the tar commands were going to run on. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you referring to /lib inside the fedora 6 vm?

No, I'm referring to files that Fusion installs on OS X. You don't need to download anything.

0 Kudos
vmn3wb3
Contributor
Contributor

this worked. I don't know why it didn't show up in the image, but downloading vmware workstation tar file and extracting it worked great. I just had to cd to the directories I was working on for some reason to avoid errors. Thanks for everyone's help.

CH

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Unless you need portability between VMware products, it's probably a good idea to use the same tools that come with whichever product you're using - in this case, you should be using the tools that came with Fusion, especially since they're newer than the 5.5.2 tools.

0 Kudos
vmn3wb3
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the 6.0.0 vmware tools and followed the rest of the instructions. Everything seems to work fine. Thanks,

0 Kudos