VMware Communities
xanrov
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install Windows XP updates

Brand new to VMWare Fusion 1.1.3 , I installed Windows XP without problems and very quicly. I downloaded and installed 3 updates (notably XP service pack 3) then I installed Office 2003 Pro , ( an old CD i have) and asked for about 14 updates ( mostly security ones but including Service Pack 3 for Office 2003) . Download was apparently OK but nowI get repeatedly popups asking to install these : installation seems to start just to abort after a few seconds giving the complete list of the updates that " have not been installed" ( something particularly irritating)

I badly need Help.

1) can VMWare tools or some VMWare settings be responsible ?

2) A possibility is one (or several) downloads from Windows Update were corrupt ( something which never happened me in many years of using various flavors of Windows). But I don't know where to find the downloaded files and erase them in the jungle of Windows files. As long as they sit somewhere , I'm apparently stuck !

In brief , I don't know what to do, short of erasing the XP VM and starting all over again.

I have a MacPro with 12 GB RAM, Leopard 10.5.4 and had given 1 GB of RAM and 40GB o HD to the VM.

Thanks in advance for Help

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kristein
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Disable Windows XP Firewall and check if the updates installs without any issues

0 Kudos
xanrov
Contributor
Contributor

I did desactivate Windows XP Firewall and tha Antivir antivirus I had but this changed nothing: The updates are downloaded but The XP system refuses or can't (for a reason I wish I knew) to install them.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In Windows and in the Command Prompt, copy and paste the following commands all at one time. (Note: Make sure the prompt returns and if not press Enter for the last command to execute.)

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll

regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll

regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll

regsvr32 /s wups2.dll

regsvr32 /s wups.dll

regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

BTW... If you have Internet Connectivity and you're having a problem with Windows Update or Office Update then this is not a Fusion issue per-se and as such you should be looking to Microsoft resources and or Google to find a solution to a Windows OS problem.

xanrov
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know how to thank you, WoodyZ, your solution worked like

magic ! All "retained" updates installed peacefully after I did what

you suggested.

I think that I'll reactivate the automatic updates That I had stopped.

This makes VNWare more attractive to me , although I have still some

little problems with the Apple (in my case, French) keyboard. like

for ex. how to type the ' \ ' . In the VM the usual combination Shift

- Alt - / doesn't work.

Is it possible to plug an USB Windows keyboard, in parallel with the

Aplle one ? That would be a cheap and immediate solution.

Again all my thanks for your help

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

Yes, it is possible to run two keyboards on one system....don't ask me why I know that, let's just say it was a "failed experiment" 😐

Good luck with your new VMWare setup!

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
xanrov
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to all and for all their kind help. I see the VMWARE Community is very much alive and useful.

0 Kudos
mariohurtado
Contributor
Contributor

xanrov: you can switch between different language keyboards in Windows itself. Just go to Control Panel, click Regional and Language Options, click Language Tab, Click Text Services and Language Options, and there you can choose an additional input language and keyboard layout. To switch between the different keyboards you type alt-Shift at the same time. I did it to switch between English (US) and Spanish (Latin America) and it works great for Excel and Word.

0 Kudos
xanrov
Contributor
Contributor

Muchas gracias, mariohurtado, por su consejo. Pero para me era mas el

problemo de poder producir algunas letras (como @ \ etc. ) con mi

teclado Mac frances, en la maquina virtual. Aunque empiezo a conocer

ciertas combinaciones de teclas (especialmente con lo de

derecha), lo resolvi comprando un teclado Windows USB, baratisimo ( 9

€ aqui) para escrivir en Word 2003 sobre Windows XP.

Mejores salutaciones

0 Kudos