VMware Communities
Terasaka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to find TWAIN scanner in XP through Fusion

My setup is simple. Mac Leopard 10.5.7, VMWare Fusion 2.0.4, Windows XP SP3 guest. I am using a piece of software which accesses TWAIN scanners. The scanner is a Savin 3515 run through a network. All the other PCs find the scanner, no problem. I installed the TWAIN drivers in XP on this machine, no problem. The software sees the drivers, no problem. I ask to scan, it indicates "scanner not found on the network." Now I've opened ports through the firewall, went to Control Panel --> Scanners and Imaging Devices, hit the "Allow this computer to use Network Scanners". Still can't find the scanner. Pings it just fine based on IP. Can print to it, no problem either. Just scanning. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The default Network in Fusion is NAT and places the Virtual Machine on it's own Subnet that is different then the Subnet the Host is on. Change the Network from NAT to Bridged and release/renew the Virtual Machine's IP Address or just reboot the Virtual Machine.

Have a look at:

Note: Toggling between NAT and Bridged can be done without rebooting or even using ipconfig to release/renew the IP Address in Windows. Simply toggle the Connected/Disconnected state of the Network from the Network icon on the Status Bar while switching the Network type in between. This takes less then 10 seconds and you can then do what you need to and then switch back just as easily if you want.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The default Network in Fusion is NAT and places the Virtual Machine on it's own Subnet that is different then the Subnet the Host is on. Change the Network from NAT to Bridged and release/renew the Virtual Machine's IP Address or just reboot the Virtual Machine.

Have a look at:

Note: Toggling between NAT and Bridged can be done without rebooting or even using ipconfig to release/renew the IP Address in Windows. Simply toggle the Connected/Disconnected state of the Network from the Network icon on the Status Bar while switching the Network type in between. This takes less then 10 seconds and you can then do what you need to and then switch back just as easily if you want.

0 Kudos
Terasaka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I thought I had tried that once because I had thought of that previously. But, went ahead and did it just now, and worked like a charm. Thanks SO much. That was the last roadblock for getting these Macs off of Bootcamp.

We are now Parallels-->VMWare converts. Thanks so much.

0 Kudos