VMware Communities
jjbyerscmu
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to create macOS 11 Big Sur beta 10 VM

While attempting to create a new VM I get the dreaded unable to create installation media message when creating a new VM with a Big Sur beta 10 installer.  Beta 6 installer worked while Beta 9 and Beta 10 installers fail to create the installation.

We need an update from Apple or VMWare to resolve this as one of the touted features of Fusion 12 is Big Sur support.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
franzinc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Got the same thing just now.  Updated to VMware Fusion Pro 12 just for the purpose of installing this, too.  Very disappointed!

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

We'll have to issue an update because Apple changed things we depend on between Betas.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
franzinc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The race is on: 12.0.1 vs beta11.

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

They *really* need to stabilize this thing soon...

0 Kudos
ferben
Contributor
Contributor

Final version macOS 11.0 Big Sur wins.

So we waiting for VMWare Fusion 12.0.1

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes, I can confirm it doesn't work as it should in VMware Fusion 12 with creating installation media of Big Sur 11.0.1
However there's a workaround here see the answer from taylorcurtis805 in thread unable to create installation media
With those steps I was able to create a .dmg that did boot and let me install Big Sur in a VM.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos