VMware Communities
Jason511
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to change Ubuntu 18.04 guest resolution with window resize

I recently updated an Ubuntu 16.04 guest to 18.04.  While this had been working under 16.04, I'm unable to get my desktop resolution to change when resizing the window on the host.  I've tried both vmware-tools and open-vm-tools+open-vm-tools-desktop, and all of the suggestions posted in this thread: Ubuntu 18.10 guest and Open VM Tools: screen resizing and Retina resolution don't work... Purging, rebooting, and reinstalling both tool versions don't seem to help.  I've tried with "Accelerate 3D Graphics" both on and off, "Use full resolution for Retina display" both on and off, and my Single Window/Full Screen resolution settings are both "Resize the virtual machine to fit the screen".

Unfortunately, none of those fixes seems to work.  Any window resize bumps me back to 1024x768 plus scaling.  I can change the resolution on the guest manually, but if I ever resize the window it immediately jumps back to 1024x768.  Every other feature of the tools work (shared folders, drag and drop transfers, copy/paste), it's just the window resizing that's broken.

A fresh install of 18.04 100% works as expected, and so does a Windows 10 VM.  So clearly there is something wrong with my 16.04->18.04 upgrade, but I can't seem to figure out what it is.  Any thoughts on where to look would be appreciated.

Host is Catalina 10.15.5

Guest is Ubuntu 18.04.4

VMWare Fusion is 11.5.5

0 Kudos
1 Reply
HayatoJin
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue with a macOS 10.14.6 host and an Ubuntu 20.04 guest.

Both open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop are installed and running; I've also tried the various fixes involving modifying the service wants file; to no avail.

0 Kudos