VMware Communities
barnys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to bridge airport using DHCP.

Hello,

I have posted on this a few times already because I have simply been unable to use bridge networking over the airport and DHCP. It just won't work, and I don't know what else to do.

Following what I have done:

\- Check DHCP server scopes. In the servers that I get logs, I see OFFERs being made to the VM but this never gets it.

\- Bridged using static IPs work perfect.

\- Removed Parallels, removed Fusion, delete all my VMs from the HDD, delete all other network connections and ports, reboot, install Fusion, install new Guest OSs (Windows XP Pro, 2003 Enterprise, Ubuntu, Red Hat 4.0), installed vmware tools, tried again all four and nothing.

\- When I removed everything I also did a search for EVERYTHING and ANYTHING from Vmware and deleted manually Preference directories under the Library.

\- Focused on Windows Pro, and changed the Nic to an "Intel Pro" by adding the following line to the .vmx file, and installing the correct drivers:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

\- Tried already 6 different Access Points, from cheap $40 ones to higher end models costing thousands of dollars.

I am simply stomped by this. I don't know what else to do, and if I can post any logs here of whatever I am requested, or who knows. This is the ONLY feature that is stopping me from putting aside my Parallels, because this works perfect under Parallels.

What do I do? Suggestions?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
45 Replies
mileserickson
Contributor
Contributor

Update: although DHCP doesn't work correctly, it is possible to use bridged networking if I configure an appropriate IP address manually via the Windows control panel. Apparently, the problem is isolated to DHCP.

Given that the original poster also migrated his VM from Parallels, I wonder whether Parallels Tools might be causing the problem. I'll try removing it and will report back.

0 Kudos
mileserickson
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, Parallels Tools refuses to uninstall itself unless it's running in a Parallels VM. As you can imagine, this is exactly the sort of stupidity that led me to switch to VMware Fusion. Apparently I should have uninstalled it under Parallels Desktop before I migrated the virtual machine to Fusion.

I wonder whether there's a way to remove it manually. I probably should start with a brand-new, totally clean VM and see whether the problem persists, but what a pain that would be!

0 Kudos
hopihopi
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the same problems with NAT working but Bridged not working. Basically the same as has been stated here already: In Bridged, I don't get an IP address to the Fusion VM... I'm only running one OS which is 32 bit Windows XP SP2. Firewalls on both the win and mac sides are open, so that is clearly not the problem.

Like others here, I've worked before with other virtual machines on both Mac's and PC's and have never had a problem with Bridged networking until now.

Since it's known that Parrallels has it working fine, I think it's clear that the problem is with Fusion 2.0.1.

What I have NOT seen here is any realy solution, be it a setting tweak or the suggestion of a fix.

I really need this to work since I need to remotely control the vm guest now and again... and I can't do that with the NAT.

Let's see, more info: the testing set up is with no external router. Both the mac and therefore the vm XP have a their own direct ethernet line with their own ip. The pc that I'm tring to connect to the mac with also has it's own direct line and it's own ip. Again, no external routers in the mix.

PLEASE, if you can, post something helpful?????

thanks

hopi

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Does everything work properly when you assign a static IP address to your VM?

If it does, then basic bridged networking is working fine. You mention that you don't have an external router, but what device or system is acting as a DHCP server? Can you turn on any logging on your DHCP server - we're trying to see if the DHCP request actually gets to the server and if it's trying to reply with an address.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately, Parallels Tools refuses to uninstall itself unless it's running in a Parallels VM.

To be completely fair, our Tools are stupid in that way too. We've been meaning to fix it (for all I know, it may have been fixed, but it's certainly been around for a while), but it's low priority. I suspect they're in a similar situation.

0 Kudos
mileserickson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Hopi,

When you say that you're not using an external router, does that mean you're counting on your ISP to provide the second IP address via DHCP? This would be the equivalent of trying to connect multiple computers to your cable or DSL modem using a hub or switch instead of a router: it won't work unless you have contacted your ISP and upgraded to a service plan allowing multiple simultaneous IP addresses.

Hope this helps,

Miles

0 Kudos
mileserickson
Contributor
Contributor

It turns out that Parallels Tools was causing the problem.

First, I removed Parallels Tools manually due to the stupidity of the uninstaller:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5116

Then, I followed these instructions to remove Parallels Tools from the Add/Remove Programs list:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247501

Now, Windows XP can obtain a DHCP lease from my AirPort Express router via the bridged connection. Apparently, it was that simple.

Cheers,

Miles

0 Kudos
hopihopi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Miles ... yes, understood... perhaps I should explain this better:

I have comcast cable and I buy extra IP's. So for discussion, let's say I have 2 totally distinct IP's. They are hooked to the comcast modem via a simple ethernet hub.

Coming out of the hub are two cat 5 cables that can go to any computer which gives each of those computers a unique IP directly to comcast. So, no LAN, no router, no 192.xxx.xxx.xxx ip's.

OK... now for an example, let's say:

On one IP I have a PC and on the other I have a Mac.

Now let's say on the Mac, I have Windows running via bootcamp and on the PC I also have Windows. Both are XP SP2. And in both those Windows installs I also have a server\client remote control app,

Now let's leave firewalls and DNS redirects out of the discussion for the moment. I'm fairly versed in both and but let's just leave them out for now.

OK... so with what is described above, there is no problem. Remote control works as it should... all good.

Now, let's alter one half of that set up:

Let's leave bootcamp windows and go into a VM Fusion Windows on the mac.

In this case, there IS a problem...

The fusion Windows gets a connection to the net but only with NAT setting in Fusion. Not with bridged. So I can browse from it, I can get out to say an FTP server with it and upload and download from FTP, but what I can't do is remote control the Fusion Windows from the real PC. http://as I can do fine in the bootcamp Windows.... see above again

I can't get through remotely with NAT, and with Bridged the Fusion Windows get NO net connection at all.

I'd love to solve this problem. I know this 'should' work since I've done it in the past with VPC virtual machines just fine.

Thanks for any ideas, or help you can offer.

hopi

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It's beginning to sound like unless you run a tool like tcpdump or

WireShark to sniff the DHCP packets, you won't find out what's really

happening. Something is refusing to acknowledge your DHCP request

offered up by your VM.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
gmotors
Contributor
Contributor

Nah, in other threads, it's become clear that the DHCPOFFER packets are eaten on their way BACK to the guest VM.

This has been an issue in 2007 (as this thread shows) and is not fixed for Debian guests, to the best of my knowledge, as of 2013.  Best of luck getting a fix from VMware - they can't get their heads out to provide it.  If you're lucky, hours of searching will lead you to the right thread in these labyrinthine forums, where you can download some patches (made by some random person) to VMware Tools and/or the kernel source itself (!!) and then bridged networking will work properly on Debian guests.

Otherwise, you're SOL without assigning the guest a static IP.

VMware had an amazing product in the early 2000s.  The combination of turning into a ponderous, Microsoft-like behemoth and resting on their laurels will eventually kill them.  I only continue to use VMware because Virtualbox is worse.  That is the only reason, given that I have not had a Debian guest with bridged networking work out of the box in several years.  I've had tickets, I've dug through all the threads - hope you find the right untrusted patches.

Debian VMWare Tools v4.1.1

Problems with Bridged Mode

Bridge networking not working in Debian under Fusion.

Bridged network not working

Debian VM on VMWare Fusion 3.1.3 deactivating network

Here are some starters. Best of luck until you switch to a competing product.

0 Kudos
c4milo
Contributor
Contributor

bhavesh.davda I'm running into this problem too. There is a thread going on at https://github.com/coreos/bugs/issues/12  where I collected all the information you asked for. cc bhaveshdavda

0 Kudos
Aditya_S
Contributor
Contributor

Hi c4milo,

I will file a bug for this issue and start to investigate. I will look through the PCAP files you have already posted on the other link and get back to you shortly. Thanks!

-Aditya.

0 Kudos
c4milo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Aditya!

One quick question. What would VMware Fusion do if it receives a DHCP offer datagram through unicast? meaning the DHCPREQUEST got the DHCP server with the broadcast flag off. Would the VMKernel forward the datagram to the VM or the DHCP Client has to set the flag ON in order to get the DHCP offer back correctly? 

0 Kudos
c4milo
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Aditya, I found the culprit in Systemd DHCP client not setting the DHCP broadcast flag ON. For details about the fix please refer to https://github.com/coreos/bugs/issues/12

0 Kudos
c4milo
Contributor
Contributor

@Aditya_S, there is another concern, though. It seems like VMware Fusion is not able to handle hardware unicast datagrams sent to the virtual machines when they are using bridged networking. Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.

0 Kudos
Aditya_S
Contributor
Contributor

@c4milo, by datagrams do you specifically mean the DHCP server responses when unicast back to the VM don't actually reach the VM? Thanks!

-Aditya.

0 Kudos
c4milo
Contributor
Contributor

Correct, that's what I mean.

0 Kudos
c4milo
Contributor
Contributor

An additional detail is that I'm using a Macbook Pro connected through Wifi.

0 Kudos
Aditya_S
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately while using wireless adapters, the DHCP messages must be broadcast for them to reach the VM correctly. That is a requirement when trying to acquire an IP address over a bridged WiFi network. Thanks!

-Aditya.

0 Kudos
c4milo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Aditya_S, is there a technical explanation for that? I would love to understand.

0 Kudos