VMware Communities
balbs
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to add a hard disk (device = vmdk file)

I currently have a Windows 7 VM running under Fusion for OSX. I want to mount another VM's (hard drive) just to browse it's files. However, I'm unable to. I use the settings to "add device" select the vmdk file and click apply and add the hard drive, but it doesn't. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Also, If I creat a new VM and then delete the hard drive device, I am unable to add another one or a replacement. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

welcome to communities!!

are you getting any errors? whats the status of the VMs when you add the Hard disk?

Try adding the hard disk after powering off both the VMs.

0 Kudos
balbs
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! And thanks for the response. No errors. It just doesn't do it. I click on apply and add the hard drive and when I look again, the hard drive was not added. All my systems changes have been done with all VMs turned off. To be fair, I am new to Fusion. Am I supposed to see the "system" vmdk and the added vmdk in a screen somewhere at the same time? I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Fusion.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you should be able to see the Hard disks in VM properties.

I dont have a fusion installtion now, the screen should be similar to the attached.

Virtual disks will be named as Hard disk 1 and Hard disk 2

0 Kudos
balbs
Contributor
Contributor

In Fusion I only see the original vmdk file. I can't add a second one.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please post the vmware.log from the VM. Lets see whats happening while adding the second disk.

0 Kudos
balbs
Contributor
Contributor

I'll try to get logs. I've been deleting and recreating for troubleshooting purposes. I've narrowed it down. I can add a new hard disk as IDE, however, I can't add a virtual disk from a shared VM vmdk file.

0 Kudos
balbs
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the log...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

instead of
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "agwin7sys.vmdk"