VMware Communities
paulhart
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to access permanent VPN with TCP via Win2K

All,

I'm having a strange networking issue with Fusion where I can 'see' a server (ICMP traffic) but can't 'access' it (TCP traffic).

My setup:

• Late 2007 Macbook, 4Gb RAM

• Mac OS X 10.5

• Fusion 1.1rc1 61385

Usually running three VMs (all brought over from a Workstation 6 installation):

• Windows 2000, NAT network;

• Windows 2000, Bridged network;

• OpenBSD, NAT network.

The Win2k VM on the bridged network needs a 'blessed' IP from DHCP to access a permanent VPN with a client location. From this VM, I am able to ping and traceroute a server on the other side of the VPN, but other traffic (SSH, Oracle) fails to connect.

The TCP connections aren't being actively blocked and they don't seem to want to expire either, though I haven't waited for longer than 15 minutes before closing a window.

I have confirmed that I can SSH from the host OS (using a blessed IP) to the server in question.

I have also confirmed that I can SSH from the guest OS to servers on the public internet (206.248.x.x) without problems. All connections worked fine in Workstation.

The network subnets involved are:

Host IP: 192.168.1.x

Bridged Guest IP: 192.168.1.x

Target IP: 10.159.4.x

All ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

If you're doing this via a wireless connection, does it work over a wired connection?

0 Kudos
paulhart
Contributor
Contributor

As it happens: yes, I'm trying all this over a WPA-encrypted wireless connection; I'll have a go with a wired connection on Monday and update with the results (I'm not very hopeful, but it's something to try).

Edit: something of an update: I can access the server in question remotely. I'm using my Win2K VM with NAT networking (not bridged as originally posted) and running a Windows VPN to my office (default Windows VPN client). Perhaps there's an issue with the bridged networking in 1.1rc1? The VPN would not connect while I had bridged networking on.

0 Kudos