VMware Communities
terra72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to access internet after upgrading to 3.0 and Windows 7

I've gone through the complete upgrade of VM Fusion (to 3.0) and Windows (from XP to 7) and while it wasn't without issues (mainly memory), I finally got it to work. And it works extremely well, much faster than VMF2/XP, with one important exception: I cannot connect to the internet over my wifi network.

I've tried all the different network settings in VMware Fusion, and it consistently tells me that I am connected (Virtual Machine // Network Adaptors // Settings). However, when I try to actually access the net, it can't find the network and none of the 'troubleshooting' tools help me.

I'm a little frustrated as Windows 7 actually works really well in VMware Fusion 3.0 with the exception noted above.

Any ideas?

Thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's possible you need to change the OS type, and then remove the curent network adapter, and then add another one.

To change the OS type, go to the Menu Bar > Virtual Machine > Settings

On the left side there's a drop down... make sure it corresponds to the version of windows you have (Windows 7, 32 vs. 64 bit)

Then, go to the Network pane, select the Virtual NIC on the left and remove it by clicking the '-'. Then, just click the '+' to add a new one.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
terra72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bump - still looking for help with this one. Thx

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Need to see a copy of your .vmx configuration file. Have a look at and archive and attach a copy of the .vmx file. Do not copy and paste the content into a reply.

Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's possible you need to change the OS type, and then remove the curent network adapter, and then add another one.

To change the OS type, go to the Menu Bar > Virtual Machine > Settings

On the left side there's a drop down... make sure it corresponds to the version of windows you have (Windows 7, 32 vs. 64 bit)

Then, go to the Network pane, select the Virtual NIC on the left and remove it by clicking the '-'. Then, just click the '+' to add a new one.

-
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is why I asked to see the .vmx file! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Well, terra72: if my suggestion doesn't resolve it for you, then please indeed post the .vmx so we can see what's up.

WoodyZ just loves going through .vmx files i think Smiley Wink

-
0 Kudos
terra72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you both - Mikero's suggestion did the trick. If WoodyZ would still like to view my .vmx file, just let me know Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

WoodyZ just loves going through .vmx files i think Smiley Wink

Its not that I like going through .vmx files or .log files etc however lets face the fact that most users posting questions here haven't a clue how to fix their problems because if they did they wouldn't be posting here in the first place, right, and asking for things like the .vmx configuration file, .log files and/or a directory listing or when deemed necessary use the Colect Support Information command any and or all of which provides the information necessary to more accurately diagnose and troubleshoot a given situation without having to ask lots of questions or blindly offer a possible fix that may or may not be applicable to the situation.

BTW I'm not trying to say that what you presented isn't applicable or was presented blindly and actually it most likely is right on target however sometimes I just prefer to see the configuration file because it says so much more accurately and quickly than what the user might be saying and then formulate a reply based upon the facts of the situation without the user's interpretation.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If WoodyZ would still like to view my .vmx file, just let me know Smiley Wink

No, I do not need to see the file and I'm glad your situation is resolved.

0 Kudos
terra72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was just kidding.

I'm grateful for your help.

0 Kudos