VMware Communities
birdog63
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to Open file after complete restore

I recently had to replace the hard drive in my IMac.  I backed up the disc using Time machine before having the disc replaced.  I have since restored all the files and applications to the new drive again using Time machine.  Now when I try to launch VMWare i get this error and the program will not launch:  "Unable to open file"Users/tom's/documents/virtual machines.localized/windows 7.vmwarevm/windows 7-000003.vmdk": insufficient permission to access file"

Can anyone provide me with a solution short of reinstalling VMWare and Windows 7.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at: Investigating permissions for Fusion virtual machines

BTW... It is a known fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable backing up/restoring Virtual Machines under all circumstances/conditions.  Also backing up Virtual Machines via Time Machine is disk/time intensive and wastes a tremendous amount of space for something that may be corrupt and worthless come time to restore it.  At a minimum I would exclude Virtual Machines from Time Machine and with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed then manually copy the Virtual Machines Package(s) to an alternate location, preferably on to a different physical hard disk.  Then keep the User Data that is stored within the Virtual Machine backed up off of the Virtual Machine on a regular basis so as to always have a current User Data Backup.  If you have to restore a properly backed up Virtual Machine that is not as current at least you'll have a working Virtual Machine and current User Data to go forward with when you find out your Time Machine Backup of the Virtual Machine fails.

0 Kudos