VMware Communities
cricketbird
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu wants to format partition - is this JUST the virtual machine?

I'm trying to create an Ubuntu virtual machine. The installer has gone through a few steps and now is giving me the warning below. Can someone confirm that this is ONLY formatting the virtual machine and NOT my mac hard drive?

TIA,

ML (VMware Fusion, Mac OS 10.5.6, MacBook Pro)

-

If you continue, the changes listed below will be written to the disks. Otherwise, you will be able to make further changes manually.

WARNING: This will destroy all data on any partitions you have removed as well as on the partitions that are going to be formatted. The partition tables of the following devices are changes: SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sda)

The following partitions are going to be formatted:

partition #1 of SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sda) as ext3

partition #5 of SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sda) as swap

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm trying to create an Ubuntu virtual machine. The installer has gone through a few steps and now is giving me the warning below. Can someone confirm that this is ONLY formatting the virtual machine and NOT my mac hard drive?

Unless you're doing something like a raw disk map (which is not supported and you'd know if you created one), this is only referencing the virtual disk and your Mac files are in no danger.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Unless you're doing something like a raw disk map (which is not supported and you'd know if you created one), this is only referencing the virtual disk and your Mac files are in no danger.

0 Kudos
cricketbird
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

whew Held my breath and did it, and nothing terrible happened. Thank you, etung!

-ML

0 Kudos