VMware Communities
ubuntukink
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu install

What does it look like when you install ubuntu under VMWare? I would like to know so I don't mess up. I have the live cd of Gusty for X86 but once it gets booted up, and you go to GParted(Partition Editor) it shows me that I have 8GB left. do I have to partition my drive to do this? I have a Intel Core Dual macbook and I would like ubuntu.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at: Ubuntu 7.10 VMware Fusion Virtual Machine Setup Install HOWTO

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/113680

Note: The PDF Document I wrote was applicable to Fusion 1.1.0 (62573) and there was some specific directions related to editing the vmware-config-tools.pl file in VMware Tools and with Fusion 1.1.1 (72241) this is not necessary as VMware has updated the vmware-config-tools.pl file in Fusion 1.1.1 (72241) to reflect then necessary changes. So if your using Fusion 1.1.1 (72241) please do not make the mentioned edits and use the remaining information to help install VMware Tools.

ubuntukink
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, i will try that. Smiley Happy I will poast any problems too. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ubuntukink
Contributor
Contributor

Can this do something bad to OS X?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Can this do something bad to OS X?

Define "this" and "bad".

have a look at:

ubuntukink
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Tools fake DVD is not showing up! plus every time I log in, Gnome settings fails to start! Please Help!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMWare Tools fake DVD is not showing up! plus every time I log in, Gnome settings fails to start! Please Help!

Did you try manually mounting the "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/linux.iso" as described in the PDF Document?

What explicitly and specifically do you mean by "plus every time I log in, Gnome settings fails to start!"?

0 Kudos
ubuntukink
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I got out of GDM and the command, "cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib" won't work. I updated GDM so It now works fine. Help will be much appreciated.

ubuntulink Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, I got out of GDM and the command, "cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib" won't work.

I guess I have to say this again!

Have a look at: Ubuntu 7.10 VMware Fusion Virtual Machine Setup Install HOWTO

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/113680

Note: The PDF Document I wrote was applicable to Fusion 1.1.0 (62573) and there was some specific directions related to editing the vmware-config-tools.pl file in VMware Tools and with Fusion 1.1.1 (72241) this is not necessary as VMware has updated the vmware-config-tools.pl file in Fusion 1.1.1 (72241) to reflect then necessary changes. So if your using Fusion 1.1.1 (72241) please do not make the mentioned edits and use the remaining information to help install VMware Tools.

In other words read and follow the directions less the pard about editing the vmware-config-tools.pl if you're using Fusion 1.1.1 (72241)!

Also have a look at because just saying "I got out of GDM and the command, "cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib" won't work." without putting it into proper context means nothing! Like I did this, this and this (define this) in the instructions and was successful however not at this point blah, blah, blah it fails. Get it? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ubuntukink
Contributor
Contributor

I did not edit the vmware-config-tools.pl. I just skipped that and went on to the part where i stop GDM and install.:)

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I did not edit the vmware-config-tools.pl. I just skipped that and went on to the part where i stop GDM and install.:)

I wish I could help however your refusal to offer enough information without having to ask you a bunch of questions is not acceptable...

Look at it from my perspective, the direction I wrote are fairly explicit and specific and work! As do the directions for installing VMware Tools which you can find in the VMware Help File!

You posted earlier about the VMware Tools not mounting and you never confirmed that you've successfully mounted and extracted the tools to install them. You also didn't state whether or not you successfully logged into tty1 in which case the remaining commands will not work.

So again since you can't seem to put "I got out of GDM and the command, "cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib" won't work." into proper context within the framework of I'll just let someone else help you! Good Luck!

0 Kudos
ubuntukink
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry if I have made any of you mad, but I have made the right command and successfully installed VMWare Tools and they are working perfectly.

Thanks for All of your help WoodyZ!

ubuntukink, out

0 Kudos
ubuntukink
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Again!

0 Kudos