VMware Communities
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ubuntu Studio (and Kubuntu) 20.10: corrupted graphics

Ubuntu Studio 20.10 is now based on KDE Plasma, exactly as Kubuntu 20.10: well, in Fusion 12, with 3D graphics acceleration enabled (with default settings and maximum shared memory), both have corrupted graphics, with various dynamic (also "flashing") distortions and false colours, mostly in the KDE menu, but also in the menu bar and desktop; while with 3D acceleration disabled, everything works normally, albeit of course a little too slowly to be usable. Experimented on new VMs, created with default values as far as graphics is concerned; and with open-vm-tools-desktop correctly installed. Of course, 20.10 Ubuntus are not yet officially supported, but just to report the problem...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Miark
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same experience: Win10 host with Kubuntu 20.04 guest (not standard Ubuntu) upgraded to 20.10.
I'm experiencing graphics glitches that affect Plasma elements, most notably its launcher and panels.

Compositor Settings have no effect. The only workaround is to disable the VM's 3D acceleration.

SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I, too, tried with various different Compositor settings, but nothing changed, even after rebooting; it also looks like this isn’t the first time, as a similar problem is described here (from some years ago):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/672007/flickering-in-kde-plasma-5-4

0 Kudos
charmainel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

^^^ Very interesting: thus, in the meantime (waiting for an official update), as described in the link above, the easiest way to fix this in Ubuntu Studio/Kubuntu 20.10 seems to be to install a newer git version of mesa, from an unsupported PPA (of course, at your own risk, but it looks like a serious site):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

sudo apt update

sudo apt full-upgrade

... reboot, and indeed it fixed the problem in my Ubuntu Studio 20.10 VM... :smileycool::smileyinfo:

0 Kudos