VMware Communities
elitewebninja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu Server - Get to the "Try or Install Ubuntu Server" screen but all black after that

I downloaded ubuntu-22.04.1-live-server-arm64.iso and it will install with UTM. Just bought VMWare Fusion 13.0.0 but I can't get this to install no matter what I do.

I'm on a Mac Studio M1 Max running macOS Ventura 13.1

I've tried installing it as Debian 11, 12, Ubuntu 64 bit and multiple other options. Same thing.

I've set the Hard Drive to SATA, the CD Rom to SATA, Assigned 8CPU and 16GB of ram with 60GB of hard drive space... still getting the same result. Just a black screen once I choose "Try or Install Ubuntu Server"

Same thing was happening with the tech preview with a different version of Ubuntu (18 i think) but I just assumed it was buggy. Now that I've paid, this should work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The released 22.04 and 22.04.1 installers won’t boot on a Fusion 13 due to Ubuntu kernel bugs. Start with the 22.04.1 daily build installer. This installer will not only boot but install a later kernel that you’d find if you updated Ubuntu to the current 22.04 packages. 

My expectation is that the installers will get fixed when Ubuntu releases 22.04.2 as they have fixed their kernel in 22.04 package updates you’d get via apt update.

See the Unofficial Fusion 13 for Apple Silicon Companion document for a more complete discussion and a link to the Ubuntu builds that will install. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The released 22.04 and 22.04.1 installers won’t boot on a Fusion 13 due to Ubuntu kernel bugs. Start with the 22.04.1 daily build installer. This installer will not only boot but install a later kernel that you’d find if you updated Ubuntu to the current 22.04 packages. 

My expectation is that the installers will get fixed when Ubuntu releases 22.04.2 as they have fixed their kernel in 22.04 package updates you’d get via apt update.

See the Unofficial Fusion 13 for Apple Silicon Companion document for a more complete discussion and a link to the Ubuntu builds that will install. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
elitewebninja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!. I did what you said and now it's working.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Glad you were able to get it working.

👍

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos