VMware Communities
chordam7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu GDM broken under VMWare Fusion on Mac. Help requested....

...First of all, thank you! I decided to take the plunge on VMWare Fusion yesterday, based on good reviews and the active community and these forums have already helped me through many little problems and questions, to get a running installation!

I installed Fusion 1.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.11 on an Intel-based Mac Book. I am occasionally prone to wild flights of fancy, so I had already turned the machine into a triple-boot installation -- with Windows XP and Ubuntu 7.04 in two other partitions. The partition were set up in GParted from the Ubuntu disk. The machine boots into rEFIt to allow me to choose OSs. I was pleased to see that I could virtualize those partitions through Fusion.

After installing Fusion and some great advice here, some other forums and a couple of blogs, i saw how to create installations that pointed to the raw disks for the Windows and Linux partitions and have been able to boot each OS in a virtual machine and as a standalone OS.

Windows runs perfectly, after a few tweaks. However, something was adversely affected in Ubuntu. After the startup screen and part of the checklist -- I'm not sure exactly where it stops -- the screen turns blue and sports some gibberish characters as a border around a grey box that says: "Failed to start the X Server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly." Looking at server output yields this additional message, "Fatal server error: no screens found." However, once I accept all error messages, I am delivered to the command line login -- so the Linux installation is working.

Based on further reading, I determined it might be best to try running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" -- i saw an article at a blog that's been useful in the past that indicated Fusion might need to run at a lower resolution. I added an "800 x 600" option under resolution. The process continues smoothly for about one more screen. Then, when the option screen for default color depth in bits comes up, no matter what I choose, the command line pops up again under the configure screen with this message: "xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customized configuration file: backup in /etc/x11/xorg.conf.20080129201702" and sets me back at the command line prompt.

Incidentally, this same sequence plays out if I boot directly into Ubuntu as well....

FYI: As you can guess from the triple-boot installation, I am not unfamiliar with the CLI, I'm no coward and I'm willing to do some research. However, I'm more of an adventurer than an expert. I use GUI tools as far as I can and the command line where I must. Since it looks like I may need to do a lot of this from the command line, I may need a little hand-holding. I do learn quick and don't expect anyone to do the work for me!

Any insight is appreaciated -- thanks again!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Creating Virtual Machines > Installing and Upgrading VMware Tools > To install or upgrade VMware Tools in a Linux virtual machine from the command line with the tar installer or RPM Installer.

You need to use the tar installer...

After clicking Install VMware Tools... on the Virtual Machine menu the rest is done in the Terminal window of the install.

Read the directions and post back with any specific questions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Incidentally, this same sequence plays out if I boot directly into Ubuntu as well....

If you have the same issue while natively boot the OS then it is not a Fusion issue and while you may get some specific help by posting here you should also be looking to sources outside of the forum as you may find an answer quicker in Ubuntu Forums or Xorg or Google if you've found nothing by searching VMware Forums.

chordam7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good point. I should have thought of that! I'll throw up a couple more posts tonight.

I am concerned, however, since the Ubuntu installation functioned perfectly up until I got it to run in Fusion....

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Good point. I should have thought of that! I'll throw up a couple more posts tonight.

I am concerned, however, since the Ubuntu installation functioned perfectly up until I got it to run in Fusion....

Had you installed VMware Tool yet?

chordam7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have not. I was trying to figure out how to find or install them from the command line and deicded it was about time to get some feedback. The instructions I saw mostly seemed to be based around some kind of GUI. I understand that, apparently, you can start the process from the host menu, but I was a little unclear as to how to proceed from there, from the command line.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Creating Virtual Machines > Installing and Upgrading VMware Tools > To install or upgrade VMware Tools in a Linux virtual machine from the command line with the tar installer or RPM Installer.

You need to use the tar installer...

After clicking Install VMware Tools... on the Virtual Machine menu the rest is done in the Terminal window of the install.

Read the directions and post back with any specific questions.

0 Kudos
chordam7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, WoodyZ. I had looked at that info but, on re-reading, it becomes clearer to me now. However, I suspect I've put in too many hours to be trusted at the command line anymore. Today, I'll settle for getting the Ubuntu command line. Tomorrow, I'll tackle X Server, when I'm fresh. I will report in to let you know how things worked out.

0 Kudos
chordam7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, WoodyZ! It was that simple! I thought tools was kind of optional but, based on my experience, it seems like a necessity!

...or, I should say, it seems to be -- as I'm not quite finished yet. I had just spent too much time to go any further last night. Thanks for helping me find the specific info I needed. My CDROM mount configuration was a little different, but I figured that out this morning and installed the tools from CLI using the tar installer, based on the info you showed. Got Ubuntu to boot properly in Fusion for the first time today!

Sadly, X Server is still broken when I boot directly into Ubuntu, but I'll search for more infor at ubuntu and xorg before I go any further.

0 Kudos