VMware Communities
hkoster1
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 8.10 VM slow shutting down...

The 2.0.1 upgrade has solved most problems I had with running Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid), including that shimmering (and almost disappearing) mouse pointer when hovering near a window edge to be moved. My only remaining issue is that shutting Ubuntu down includes a wait of four or five minutes with no apparent activity: the display (full screen or window) is then black with a stationary white underscore in the top left corner. I'm at a loss as to what might cause this wait -- a similar Ubuntu installation on PC hardware does not show exhibit itt; and neither does a Debian Lenny VM (using the 2.6.26 kernel). Could it be the way I specified the VM (split/sparse, shared internet, single-core)?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Do you still see this behavior? I was initially able to reproduce this, but can't right now (Mac Pro, 10.5.5, 2.0.1, applied all Ubuntu updates and installed Tools). I'm not sure if it's an intermittent problem or if an Ubuntu update fixed it.

0 Kudos
hkoster1
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
hkoster1
Contributor
Contributor

Just updated Ubuntu 8.10 and now the problem has disappeared. Since I didn't change anything else in the VM, the problem must have originated with Ubuntu.

Signed: one happy VMware Fusion user!

0 Kudos