VMware Communities
AndrewTaubman
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 22.04 client has no network connection

I have Fusion 12.2.3 running in MacOS 12.4 which I use to host an Ubuntu client. I updated Ubuntu from 21.x to 22.04 successfully, it ran an Ubuntu update and rebooted fine. From that point it had no network connection at all.

I guessed the update didn't go well so I killed that client and installed a fresh one with Ubuntu 22.04 directly from their website. The same thing happened - it worked initially but after an update the networking again failed.

I realise this may be an Ubuntu issue (although a pretty bad one if so!) but does anyone have any idea what could be wrong on the Fusion side? Here's what I've tried:

- rebooting the Mac

- disconnect/reconnect NW adapter in Fusion settings

- try each available network setting there (bridged, NAT)

- go into Network Adapter Settings and try each choice there (Share with my Mac, Autodetect, Ethernet, Wifi).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am not able to reproduce this on my iMac.  What hardware are you using?

0 Kudos
AndrewTaubman
Contributor
Contributor

It's a 2017 iMac , 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 32gb RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

If this is a Fusion issue at all, I'll guess it's particular to my setup rather than being generally reproducible. I was mainly asking for ideas where to look. What settings do you have in that Ubuntu VM?

0 Kudos
AndrewTaubman
Contributor
Contributor

Today, without any update to MacOS, Fusion, or (obviously) Ubuntu, it's working. No idea!

0 Kudos
freddiechessell
Contributor
Contributor

Ridiculous solution, but I was stuck with this and what worked for me was suspending and resuming the VM once booted.

To be clear, rebooting, resetting network options and rebooting the host did not fix it. Only suspending and resuming.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/No-networks-on-Ubuntu-guest-on-new-PC/td-p/...

No idea why this works.

Tags (1)
SterlingPC
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into this but using VM under TrueNAS 13.  Initial install worked fine with the NIC, but after, no link.  The only fix I have found so far is to add a second NIC to the system.  The original NIC shows but in a DOWN state, but the second NIC is up and running no problem.  Deleting the first NIC causes the second NIC to stay DOWN for some reason.  Does not matter if I use the virtual E1000, or the VirtIO NIC.  I realize this isn't specifically to VMWare, but maybe it will help someone.

0 Kudos