VMware Communities
velum
Contributor
Contributor

USB problem with VMware Fusion 1.1.3

Hi!

I've had a few problems using USB devices on my MacBook Pro with VMware Fusion:

- When I connect my digital camera and I transfer photos to my virtual PC, sometimes the picture names look like garbage (Eg: ±á ) or if I manage to transfer images, they don't look right.

- I also connected a USB-2 external hard-drive. When I browsed the files using the Mac, everything was ok. I then connected the USB drive to the Vitual Machine, and the drive partition got corrupted. I wasn't able anymore to read the data from the drive using either my Virtual PC nor my MacBook Pro. I had to use a special software (EasyRevovery Professional) to recover the data from the drive. This is scary.

Configuration:

VMware Fusions 1.1.3 (94249)

MacBook Pro with OS X Version 10.5.4 (Leopard)

Virtual Machine running Windows XP Pro SP 2

Samsung 160 Gb Drive with a single NTFS partition in a USB-2 case

Cheers!

JF

0 Kudos
7 Replies
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

How much RAM in the VM and what version of VMware Tools?

0 Kudos
velum
Contributor
Contributor

My MacBook Pro has 4Gb of physical RAM. 3 Gb are reserved for the VM. And I have VMware Tools v7.6.3, build-94249 installed on the VM.

Cheers!

JF

0 Kudos
kristein
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Enable 2GB memeory to the Virtual Machine and check if this helps

velum
Contributor
Contributor

As a matter of fact, lowering the VM RAM to 2000 Mb did correct the problem. I have no clue why that is though. And it is a bit scary to think that a USB drive can get corrupted if you connect it while using more than 2 Gb for the VM. Is there a fix for this problem? I prefer having more memory for my VM, since I use Visual Studio on it, and it needs quite a bit of memory to work efficiently.

Cheers!

JF

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Glad to hear that worked for you, velum. I was in the same boat as you: running VS 2008 with 3 GB. My VM simply wouldn't recognize USB devices. This is a known bug () that is supposed to be fixed in Fusion 2.0.

0 Kudos
velum
Contributor
Contributor

Well, this is quite unfortunate, but this bug has not been fixed in Fusion 2.0! Grrrrrr! :_|

JF

0 Kudos
ladson4
Contributor
Contributor

Can you tell me how to modify the RAM allocated to the virtual machine (eg., from 4 GB to 2 GB)?

0 Kudos