VMware Communities
kcheon
Contributor
Contributor

USB devices not recognized in Fusion 5.01/Mountain Lion

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion and Fusion 5.01. In the pass, if I have a VM running, when I pluged in an USB device, the system would ask me whether I want to use the device in Mac OS or Guest OS (such as Windows). After I upgraded to Mountain Lion and then Fusion 5.01. as Fusion asked, I have updated the VM and reinstalled the VM tools, the system no longer asks me when I plug in an USB device. It just connects to Mac OS. I tried multiple USB drives and it is the same. Anybody has any clues?

Kaiser

0 Kudos
22 Replies
jensph
Contributor
Contributor

On my Mountain Lion Mac running Fusion 5.01 with a Windows 7 VM I am also unable to connect a USB drive.  The same drive can connect successfully to another Windows machine and to the Mac.

I can try to reinstall Fusion 5.01, but I'm not sure what my license is (it was installed by my IT department). If I follow the instructions linked to by kcheon will it wipe out my license?  Is there a way to make a copy of the info I need before uninstalling 5.01?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

jensph wrote: I can try to reinstall Fusion 5.01, but I'm not sure what my license is (it was installed by my IT department). If I follow the instructions linked to by kcheon will it wipe out my license?  Is there a way to make a copy of the info I need before uninstalling 5.01?

It shouldn't remove the licence file however I'd back it up first anyway! Smiley Wink

It's located at: "/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/license-fusion-50-e3-201202"

Note that the numbers in the file name might differ on your system.

If you wantt, you can open it in a Text Editor and look copy the Serial Number from the line starting "Serial = ".

0 Kudos
jensph
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  Unfortunately in my case it didn't actually work. 

But I found the reason is that it is a USB 3 drive that I'm trying to attach to a Windows 7 VM, which won't work.  I shared the drive as suggested by support.

0 Kudos