VMware Communities
kcheon
Contributor
Contributor

USB devices not recognized in Fusion 5.01/Mountain Lion

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion and Fusion 5.01. In the pass, if I have a VM running, when I pluged in an USB device, the system would ask me whether I want to use the device in Mac OS or Guest OS (such as Windows). After I upgraded to Mountain Lion and then Fusion 5.01. as Fusion asked, I have updated the VM and reinstalled the VM tools, the system no longer asks me when I plug in an USB device. It just connects to Mac OS. I tried multiple USB drives and it is the same. Anybody has any clues?

Kaiser

0 Kudos
22 Replies
kcheon
Contributor
Contributor

I asked my other colleagues, they also have the same problem. It might be a bug in Fusion 5.01. Anyone from VMWare can answer this?

0 Kudos
aprabhas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this. I would recommend you to try this out: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1025256&sl...

If this does not help then it should be some kind of a bug with the 5.0.1 update.

0 Kudos
vmkdub
Contributor
Contributor

I have Fusion 5.01 and Mac OS X 10.8.2. I haven't noticed these issues with USB sticks and VM images.

To test, I tried connecting a USB stick while one of my Linux VMs was running. The expected popup window asked if I wanted to Connect to Mac or Connect to Linux. I did the same with a Windows 2K8 VM, but that was after adding the USB Controller (to the image). I got the pop window again, this time asking Connect to Mac or Connect to Windows.

Maybe try removing/adding the USB Controller again from the VM?

PS - I upgraded the VM Tools for the W2K8 machine, and was still prompted with the "Connect to..." options window

0 Kudos
dvrh
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.  Win 7.   When I look at the log file for the VM, i see the following:

2012-10-10T23:05:25.017-05:00| vmx| I120: USBGL: Error connecting to arbitrator socket /var/run/vmware/usbarbitrator-socket: No such file or directory (2)
2012-10-10T23:05:25.017-05:00| vmx| W110: USBGL: Giving up on connecting to USB arbitrator
2012-10-10T23:11:56.924-05:00| vmx| I120: USB: Disconnecting device 0xa00000000e0f0008
2012-10-10T23:11:56.929-05:00| vmx| I120: USB: Disconnecting device 0x10e0f0002
2012-10-10T23:11:56.929-05:00| vmx| I120: USB: Disconnecting device 0x400000030e0f0003
2012-10-10T23:11:56.935-05:00| vmx| I120: USBGL: Closed arbitrator connection

Not sure it it's related to my issue or not.  Any ideas?

All searches for a resolution reference ESX/i.

0 Kudos
aprabhas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We gotta find whether this is happening for any USB devices you connect or whether it is happening with only one specific type of USB device. What do you see?

Collect the USB debugging logs:

1. Open your .vmx file for editing and add this line:

usb.analyzer.enable = "TRUE"
  2. Go to the VMware Fusion menu and select Preferences.
  3. Check the box to Enable debugging checks.
  4. Shut down your virtual machine and quit Fusion.
  5. Reopen Fusion and power on your virtual machine.
  6. Connect the USB device to your virtual machine.
  7. Collect the VMware Support Information. For more information, see http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1003894&sl...

Upload the resulting logs.

0 Kudos
dvrh
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

I am experiencing this issue with two different Win7 VMs.  I captured the logs from the one that I use most.

0 Kudos
aprabhas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try doing a manual reinstall of Fusion by following the steps in the article to its entirety: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1014529&sl...

Make sure you remove all those files as per the article while uninstalling Fusion.

Probably this should refresh the kernel extensions and fix up the problem for you.

0 Kudos
RJIn
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

Removing the USB controller and re-adding from "Virtual Machine>Settings>USB & Bluetooth" should work and also make sure "Ask what to do" is selected in advanced button.

If that doesn't work then you can try uninstalling Fusion and reinstalling.

ty

0 Kudos
kcheon
Contributor
Contributor

Tried removing and adding the USB Controller, the problem still persist. Haven't tried reinstalling Fusion 5.01 yet.

0 Kudos
kcheon
Contributor
Contributor

I can't find Enable debugging checks setting in my Fusion 5.01!

0 Kudos
kcheon
Contributor
Contributor

Our company's tech support said that VMWare admitted it is a bug.

0 Kudos
RJIn
Contributor
Contributor

"Enable debugging checks" is changed to "Troubleshooting" in Virtual machine>settings>Advanced in fusion 5 but that won't help I  believe. Still I would suggest you to uninstalling Fusion completely (including files anfd folders) and re-installing it and see if it helps.

(http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1017838)

0 Kudos
aprabhas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Before we confirm this to be a bug, I advise you to do the manual reinstall of Fusion to 5.0.1 as may be due to some reason the auto update would not have happened smoothly. So all it would require is a reinstall as per the procedure in the article.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos
kcheon
Contributor
Contributor

Our company is having a special licence, I am not sure whether I can re-install it. I will wait for our IT support's advice before I re-install it.

I was upgrading from SnowLepard/Fusion3x and Lion/Fusion4x and it was running well. After I upgraded to MountainLion/Fusion5x, I have this problem. It also happens in most (if not all) of my colleagues upgrading from Lion/Fusion4x to MountainLion/Fusion5x. It may be a bug with ML, Fusion5x, the upgrade process or a combination of these.

Regards.

0 Kudos
fbonez
Expert
Expert

kcheon ha scritto:

I was upgrading from SnowLepard/Fusion3x and Lion/Fusion4x and it was running well. After I upgraded to MountainLion/Fusion5x, I have this problem. It also happens in most (if not all) of my colleagues upgrading from Lion/Fusion4x to MountainLion/Fusion5x. It may be a bug with ML, Fusion5x, the upgrade process or a combination of these.

Same situation here. I had the same problem. I have resolved with a complete uninstall of Fusion, reboot the Mac and then install Fusion.

AppCleaner from "freemacsoft"  helped me to completely unistall Fusion. It's a free app.

Regards.

-- If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". | @fbonez | www.thevirtualway.it
dvrh
Contributor
Contributor

I fixed my issue by completely removing and reinstalling Fusion 5. If you originally installed using a corporate packaged IT version (like me), download the software directly from VMware and use that package for install.

Sent from my iPhone

kcheon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I will feedback to my IT department. It might be a mistake when WMWare develops the upgrade process.

0 Kudos
kcheon
Contributor
Contributor

My IT department did not get back to me. Instead, I uninstalled Fusion 5.01 using the instructions here http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

Then reinstall Fusion 5.01 again. It is back to normal now.

Kaiser

0 Kudos
RJIn
Contributor
Contributor

Good to know... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos