VMware Communities
CroiseurDeBatai
Contributor
Contributor

USB devices not able to connect to VM fusion since update to 11 pro and mac mojave

Hi guys,

i updated the macos from high sierra to mojave the latest version

uninstalled the vm fusion 10 pro and installed the 11 pro

i found the usb devices cannot connect to virtual system and i have it set to ask which device to connect to but this window does not appear since i updated the vm fusion and macos.

the usb devices now are directly connected to macos without any waring or ask as before

i've selected "allow" for VM fusion in macos system preferences,security and privacy settings

does anyone have the same problem and how to deal with it?

thanks

Tags (1)
27 Replies
hollistonma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

finaluser​:   I understand that MBP runs Intel processors, however how will loading the Intel drivers help with VMWare running Windows 10?  Sorry if the question is naive.  I'm afraid to load the drivers and mess up my MBP.

0 Kudos
finaluser
Contributor
Contributor

You must install the drivers on your Windows Virtual Machine, not on Macos. So, don’t worry. Download it and install it on Windows

0 Kudos
hollistonma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

finaluser​,

Turns out I didn't have to install Intel drivers.

The solution for me was to add a line to the .vmx file.

After Fusion 11.5.0 upgrade, no usb devices recognized

0 Kudos
spatan2002
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem. it is unfortunate that one valid solution has been provided

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That only applies to older versions of windows.

0 Kudos
aviatortom
Contributor
Contributor

Question - if I uninstall VMWare as you describe - will I lose my Windows 10 installation? In other words, in addition to reinstalling VMWare Fusion (I just bought Version 12), will I have to rebuild my virtual machine from scratch? Thanks, Tom

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No, your VM is a bunch of files in a bundle/package - just like a data file.

If you want to be sure, take a copy before you uninstall: Default File Location of a Virtual Machine

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
aviatortom
Contributor
Contributor

OK, thanks scott28TT, I deleted VMWare and related files and reinstalled, but I am still having difficulty with one particular USB device, a Spektrum WS2000 USB dongle. If allows one to use their RC radio transmitter to fly RC flight simulators like Realflight 9.0 instead of using the wired USB controllers that are often sold bundled with the RC simulator software. The WS1000 or WS2000 dongles work great with Mac OS or Windows 10 alone; however, I cannot get either version to work on my Windows 10 virtual machine. I checked and Spektrum’s specs claim no additional drivers are needed - both devices run on native Windows drivers.

When I look in my Mac‘s System Information, the Spektrum WS2000 receiver dongle shows up as shown below. It also works great with another macOS-based RC simulator I have.

39A2CB3B-1C2C-44CB-9B28-2F3067EC85B5.jpeg

It does not show up in my (now) VMWare Fusion 12 list of USB & Bluetooth Removable devices. All other USB devices do.

Can anyone help solve this problem?

I am running VMware Fusion 12.0.0 on an iMac (Retina 5K, Late 2015), Processor 4GHz Quad-Core Intel i7 with 16GB RAM, and macOS Catalina Ver. 10.15.6. My Windows virtual machine is Windows 10 Home, 64-bit OS, x64-based processor with latest updates as of 18 September 2020.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos