VMware Communities
MoRRiS1
Contributor
Contributor

USB devices in Fusion are connected to host first, and after switching they turn off

Hi,

I have a USB device i have been using in a VM for years. it is a "Garmin Zumo 550"

Just recently, probably since an upgrade from Fusion (11.5.5), or an upgrade from MacOS 10.15.5 i can't connect it to my VM anymore.

Although the settings are to connect the device directly to my VM upon connect, it looks like it is first connecting to the host, and then switching. But the moment it switches, the USB device turns itself off (exits Mass storage mode). And thus disconneting from the VM again.

This behaviour is just happening since recently.

on my older macbook with Fusion10 and HighSierra this is not happening. So i think it is safe to say these are issues with the USB device itself.

Does anyone have similar issues? and how dit you solve this?

Has there been a change in the way USB devices are connected with the upgrades from either MacOS or Fusion? Are there settings that can mitigate this problem?

Tnx!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Are other USB devices working?

FWIW, no USB devices were visible anymore, after I updated to VMware Fusion 11.5.5

The USB arbitrator service wasn't running either anymore, so I knew something was up with my install.

In order to resolve this I did the following:

- dragged VMware Fusion from the Applications folder to the bin in order to uninstall it.

- rebooted my MBP

- re-installed VMware Fusion from the dmg that I downloaded.

On that install I got a question from the Security & Privacy pane to allow a VMware extension.

This I think is what had gone missing the first time as there was no popup, nor was there a VMware extension to allow (I had checked the S&P pane before uninstalling)

After starting my VMs again usb functioned as normal.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
MoRRiS1
Contributor
Contributor

Other VM's and USB devices like USB thumbdrives are working correctly.

I'll try reinstalling fusion to be sure everything is setup correctly.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

That does sound like another issue then.

It should not hurt to re-install, but I somehow doubt it will resolve your issue.

In that case, have a look at answer from RickShu on this thread:

Re: Cannot connect usb devices inside a VM

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos