VMware Communities
jimstrong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

USB connection dropped on restart

I'm on Fusion 7.1.1. and OS X 10.10.3. In earlier versions of Fusion and OS X, a USB connection would survive a restart of a Virtual Machine (Windows 8.1 in my case).

What happens now is that each time I restart the Virtual Machine, the USB connection is lost and has to be manually reconnected. The device is a Panasonic USB Adapter.

Any ideas how to fix this so that the device reconnects automatically on a restart as was previously the case?

Thanks a lot

Jim Strong

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello Jim,

Please have a look at your USB settings for your Virtual Machine.

In order to do so, go to menu "Virtual Machine" -> "USB & Bluetooth" -> "USB & Bluetooth Settings" -> put a tick in the checkbox for your device and in the last column make sure it is set to "Connect to Windows" and not "Ask what to do".

Hope this helps,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello Jim,

Please have a look at your USB settings for your Virtual Machine.

In order to do so, go to menu "Virtual Machine" -> "USB & Bluetooth" -> "USB & Bluetooth Settings" -> put a tick in the checkbox for your device and in the last column make sure it is set to "Connect to Windows" and not "Ask what to do".

Hope this helps,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jimstrong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hiya. Yes that has worked this time thank you!

I had been doing exactly what you said, but for some reason it would just not work in between sessions. I've now selected the option again - and all is well!

Thanks a lot

Jim

0 Kudos