VMware Communities
UlrichCM
Contributor
Contributor

USB Scanner problems after upgrading to VMware Fusion 7

My USB Scanner Canon DR-C130 has worked fine under Windows 7 Professional with VMware Fusion 6, but in VMware Fusion 7 ist will stop until the document was scanned. I had to switch off the scanner to finish the scan job and to see the document.

The KB Article (VMware KB: Troubleshooting USB devices using USB quirks in Fusion ) won't work, i get the message: .vmx-File has an error.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
silentsound
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, I'm having similar issues with a Canon DR-2010C on Windows 7 Enterprise. I was able to edit the *.vmx file with the suggested workarounds, though, but none of those resolved the problem.

I've opened a Support Request with VMware with the additional debug information to see if they have any insights.

0 Kudos
RGLAESS
Contributor
Contributor

Did you receive any suggestions from VMWare concerning the issues with your scanner?

We have similar problems with Canon DR-2580c, P-150 and P-215. Latest VMWare Tools are installed, scanner is connected, latest scanner drivers are installed and the guest OS (Windows XP, Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8.1 64-bit) detects the scanners without problems, but after the first scan an error message pops up: "Undefinied error -4235". We have to disconnect and reconnect the scanner or to restart the scanner application to continue scanning.

So far, this problems occur since upgrade from VMWare Fusion 6 to 7. Downgrading again to Fusion 6 solves this issue.

0 Kudos
silentsound
Contributor
Contributor

I did receive a response from VMware and troubleshooted the issue with them over the phone with screen sharing.

For the Canon DR-2010C I have, the issue appeared isolated to the Job Tool. When we tried using CapturePerfect instead, the scanner didn't hang with multiple sequential scans, surprisingly. I first tried removing all of the software/drivers and re-installing everything to see if that solved the issue, but it didn't. I also tried upgrading to the latest CaptureTouch tool (which replaced the Job Tool). I believe that resolved the issue somewhat, but I don't remember the specifics. The reason is that I noticed that I could use Canon's DR-2010M software for OS X with the DR-2010C, avoiding the Windows VM entirely. That's been way more stable and faster in terms of scanning.

So, to answer your question, I resolved the issue by no longer using the scanner from VMware Fusion :-).

0 Kudos
UlrichCM
Contributor
Contributor

Today i installed Fusion 7.1.2: Now it works. Thanks.

0 Kudos