VMware Communities
Cobracon
Contributor
Contributor

USB Recognition by Win7 Pro

Hi,

If there is already an answer somewhere here, please point me to it... otherwise, any suggestions are most welcome.

I consider myself "expert" in Windows related issues, but am beginner with Mac OSx.

Installation:

HW - iMac Pro 1.1 (2017), JetFlash USB Drive 3.0

SW - Mojave 10.14.5, VMWare Fusion 11.1.0 (Trial Version) with Win7 Pro x64 (all updates loaded) plus MS Office H&B 2010 (duly updated)

Problem:

Cannot get Win7 to recognise the USB ports - which are 3.0 on this machine. When insert flash drive Fusion recognises drive and asks to which OS it should be attached. If answer Mac, then everything works fine in Mac. If answer Windows the response from Fusion is:

{The device 'JetFlash Mass Storage Device' was unable to connect to its ideal host controller.

An attempt will be made to connect this device to the best available host controller. This might result in undefined behaviour for this device.}

After selecting OK Windows responds with:

{USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.}

Clicking on message returns a pop-up Window:

{USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.

The location of the device is shown in bold type.

USB Root Hub (6 ports)

USB Composite Device

Unknown Device

Unused Port

Unused Port

Unused Port

Unused Port

Recommendation:

Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognise it, replace the device.}

It is the same result with various USB drives

In Fusion Preferences - USB & Bluetooth: The JetFlash Drive is listed with Action: Ask what to do

USB Compatibility is set to USB 2.0 (although have already tried resetting this to 3.0)

Have tried Remove USB Controller, shut down, restart Windows, shut down again and then Install USB Controller, but there is no change.

Many thanks in advance for any help...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Windows 7 doesn't support USB 3 devices, which is the root cause.

A brute-force workaround is to put a USB 2.0 hub in between the device and the computer.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Unfortunately Windows 7 itself does not come with USB3 support (this is sometimes referenced as windows 7 not having an inbox driver for USB3).

In order to use a USB3 device under VMware Fusion you have the following options:

- Use an operating system with USB3 support (eg. Windows 8.x or newer)

- Use a USB2 hub or USB2 cable between your computer and the USB3 device you want to use to downgrade the USB3 interface to USB2

- Connect to a USB2 connector on your computer if your computer provides such a connector.

- You can try setting the USB compatibility under menu Virtual Machine -> Settings -> USB & Bluetooth -> Advanced -> Compatibility -> USB2

Starting with VMware Fusion 8 your Windows 7 guests can have USB3 support, but you will have to install an additional driver.

Have a look at the following KB article for the details: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2128105

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Cobracon
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I am a bit late to reply... many thanks however for the reply and advice - appreciated.

Unfortunately I had too many problems during set-up and configuration, so I decided to try Parallels which was far easier to install and configure...

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Cobracon
Contributor
Contributor

Belated thanks for your advice - much appreciated!

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

0 Kudos