VMware Communities
SeyelentEco
Contributor
Contributor

USB Flash Disk in VMWare Fusion 2 Beta 1

I have a 1GB Flash disk I am trying to use in a Windows XP host. I insert it, I attach it, Windows recognizes the usb device, assigns a drive letter to it, but when I click on it, it says "Please insert disk into drive E:"

I checked the Disk Management utility and it shows up (as well as the size of it) but it doesn't show a File System Type. I checked in the Mac OS X Disk Utility and it shows up as formatted as FAT32. I can format it in the Windows Disk Management tool, but after 100% formatting, it gives an error message.

I checked my devices and nothing is yellow, all of the drivers are installed, everything seems to work fine, except the partition showing up.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SeyelentEco
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like I fixed by issue by downloading the BootIt program and using it to Format. It also failed at the end, but then Windows all of a sudden recognized the file system.

The instructions for the program and download link is at:

http://www.lancelhoff.com/2008/05/01/multi-partition-a-usb-flash-drive-in-windows/

0 Kudos
SeyelentEco
Contributor
Contributor

Hah it worked temporarily... then failed again... I'm not sure if its the disk or Fusion. The disk works fine in Mac OS X... and works fine attached to another Windows XP machine.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

0 Kudos
nesmex
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem with a cruzer titanium 4GB flash drive, I got rid of the U3 capabilities, so it's a plain USB flash drive. It mounts without porblems in Mac OSX as well as in a XP Windows machine (Sony Vaio and ThinkPad T41)

My guest OS in Fusion 2beta 1 is Vista SP1, before upgrading to Fusion 2 b1 it worked fine. Looking at system configuration in VM menu under USB it says it has the titanium sandisk USB attached, but i does not show up in the windows explorer, actually the explorer stalls for a while and then restarts.

After rebooting Vista it took a while to recongnize and show up the USB dongle in the explorer but only if I plug it in the USB port farther from the power connector. this is really annoying Smiley Sad

Hope a patch comes out soon

0 Kudos