VMware Communities
Ron_Clevenger
Contributor
Contributor

USB Disk default connection to OS X

When I connected a USB disk to my Macbook Pro with Windows 7 running as a Guest OS, a dialog box asked which machine did I wish to connect to - Mac or Windows.  I accidently chose Windows and the box "always make this connection".

I actually want the USB disk to default to connection to Mac OS instead. 

How can I change this default connection?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at: VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Search > type USB then select Set the Default Plug-In Action for a USB Device

In other words, with the device connected go into the Virtual Machine Settings > USB Devices and set it so it always Connects to your Mac.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not familiar with VMware Fusion, however I assume general like this settings are stored in on of the following files:

• User-wide preferences ("/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences")
  • User-wide configuration ("/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config")
  • or individually in each of the VM's vmx files

see http://kb.vmware.com/Platform/Publishing/attachments/1004114_fFusion%20Beginners%20guide%20-%20DOC-1...

André

PS Just saw WoodyZ already answered the question while I was typing Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Actually information for USB Plugin Behavior is stored in the VMUSBPluginBehavior key in the /Users/${USER}/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist file and is a Binary XML Property List, so it cannot be edited manually in TextEdit like a Plain Text XML Property List could, and requires a Property List Editor which by default is not installed in Mac OS X although it is available in Apple Developer Tools or other Third Party Utilities.

Additionally by default VMware Fusion does not use a config file and would need to be manually created however it does use the /Users/${USER}/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences file which is the location the config file can be manually created if needed.

0 Kudos