VMware Communities
kaz219
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

USB Connect/Disconnect loop with Fusion 6 and Mavericks

I have a bluetooth usb adapter from Plantronics (BT300) and each time my XP VM is running and I plug the BT300 in my Mac, it goes into connect/disconnect loops (I see connect and disconnect notifications from hardwaregrowler).

In the console I see lines similar to the following one repeated every second:

2013-11-20 10:38:24,000 kernel[0]: PlantronicsDriverShield: ignoring device 047f/0415/0861 @ 14100000 (external)

If I stop the VM, plug the USB adapter and start the VM afterwards, everything is fine.

That was not happening on Mountain Lion. I use OS X 10.9.0 Mavericks and Fusion 6.0.2 (1398658).

In the settings of the VM, under USB, I chose “connect to Mac” for the BT300. Also, for “when a new usb device is plugged” I have “connect to Mac” as well.

Any ideas what I can try to solve this?

14 Replies
toneil
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue when I connect a ClearOne chat 50.  If I select "Connect to Windows" the Chat 50 will function in the VM.

0 Kudos
greengecko
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the same problem with other USB devices under Fusion Professional Version 6.0.2 (1398658) but OS X 10.8.5.

I didn't have the problem before upgrading from Fusion 5... so I'm guessing that the problem is with VMWare.

0 Kudos
tonywilliams
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same issue with a USB to serial adapter.  I'm going to open a ticket and see if I can get somewhere with VMware support.

0 Kudos
kaz219
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still having the issue, but it seems related to the BT300. That's the only device having the issue so far. I also noticed that the BT300 doesn't work on my anker 7 port usb3 hub. It looks like the implementation of the USB standard is weird on the BT300... So, more like a plantonics issue. Unfortunately, no firmware upgrade available for it.

Fusion 6.0.2, Mavericks 10.9.1.

0 Kudos
philwonsuh
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having same issues, I'm on OSX 10.9.1 and Fusion 6.0.2

any solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Not a solution however a possible workaround.  Temporarily pause the Virtual Machine while plugging in the BT300.

VMware Fusion (menu) > Virtual Machine > Pause

0 Kudos
kaz219
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok, I have another device having the issue, which is very similar: the USB adapter for a targus remote. Exact same effect. It's even possible both use the same chip inside.

I think there something VMware could improve here, even though it's possible the USB product wasn't implemented a very clean manner.

0 Kudos
jmeager
Contributor
Contributor

I'll also add my name to the affected group.  Connecting ANY USB device causes the bouncing USB device issue.  The workaround as previously mentioned is to pause the machine, connect the device/s, unpause VM, select the devices in the VM and they are ok.

At least I know to not bother troubleshooting the issue in my setup as others are also experiencing it.....

0 Kudos
ebob9
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue.

If any VM is powered on, I'll have this issue with most external devices.

Devices seen with the issue (so far):

• Plantronics Gamecom 780 headset
  • Cables Unlimited USB to serial (discontinued - uses generic FTDIchip driver)

Guest OS:

• Ubuntu (12.04 server, 13.10 server)
  • Windows 8, 8.1, 2012 R2

I've attempted disabling USB 'ask', and forcing all USB to host. Device still bounces. Same with downgrading/upgrading USB controller on VMs to 1.0/2.0/3.0.

Only thing that allows the device to connect to the host is to shutdown or pause the VM.

Here's a video of the issue. It's trivial to recreate:

VMware Fusion 6 USB issue - YouTube

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi All,

Thanks for using Fusion.

This is a known issue for Fusion 6.0.2, and issue is under investigation, sorry for the inconvenience brought.

0 Kudos
thepianobar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Leo, Any update on this? Specifically looking for an ETA. Happens with every USB device I plug in on a Mac OS X 10.9.2 host with both Win7 and Win8 guests. Thanks

0 Kudos
greengecko
Contributor
Contributor

This has become a showstopper for me.... the bug has been open for 4+ months.

I just tried out my same configuration under Parallels 9, and it works correctly.

For $80, I can continue to work.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

greengecko wrote: This has become a showstopper for me.... the bug has been open for 4+ months.

I just tried out my same configuration under Parallels 9, and it works correctly.

For $80, I can continue to work.

VMware Fusion 6.0.3, released 04-17-2014, fixes this bud! Smiley Wink

CenterOrbit
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly the VMware Fusion 6.0.3 update did not solve my USB issues. But I did find a troubleshooting guide that worked for me:

VMware KB: Troubleshooting USB devices using USB quirks in Fusion

After performing these steps and applying the skip-reset my device reset once, and then worked like a charm.

0 Kudos