VMware Communities
tmbeasley
Contributor
Contributor

USB CAC reader not recognized in Fusion8

Just downloaded VMFusion8 on OS 10.12.4. When running Windows 10X on VMFusion8 it does not recognize my SCR3310 v2.0 CAC reader. I read through the message board but did not see any solutions for OS 10.12 only 10.11. I could not change or edit my USB 3.0 to 2.0.

Has anyone running OS 10.12 and Fusion 8 been able to get the USB to show in the devices on Windows 10?

1 Reply
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

If you can't change the USB compatibility from 3.0 to 2.0, that means the VM is either in "Powered On" or "Suspended" state. To be able to change the USB compatibility settings, the VM has to be powered off/shut down.

FWIW, I have an OmniKey 3121 USB card reader and it is recognised in a Windows 10 VM in Fusion 8.5.6 on macOS 10.12.5.

There are two modes for smart card readers in Fusion (and in Workstation as well), one is shared mode and the other passthrough. With the shared mode the card reader will appear as "Microsoft Usbccid Smartcard Reader (WUDF)" in Device Manager while in USB passthrough (i.e. as if the USB device is attached to the VM just like USB memory sticks) the card reader will appear as what your hardware ID is supposed to.

EDIT: Some smart card readers does not seem to work (i.e. it doesn't appear in the Connect list) if the shared mode is turned on.

You can turn off shared mode for the smart card reader by adding these two lines to the VM configuration file.

usb.generic.allowCCID = "TRUE"

usb.ccid.disable = "TRUE"