VMware Communities
OJack
Contributor
Contributor

USB-C Ethernet adapter, Fusion 11.5 on Catalina 10.15.7 network connectivity

Hi,

Anyone knows of any fix or trick for the following problem:

When using a USB-C Ethernet adapter for Bridging in Fusion, I get no network connectivity between my VMs. VM can not even ping it's own default gateway. If I bridge the Wireless interface, everything works, so it's definitely the USB adapter.  I've noticed this problem it's being dragged for several Fusion versions now.. I've tried Fusion releases from 11.3 to 11.7 and even 12.

Strange thing, after I've loaded some of the Fusion versions, things seem to work for a while when using the USB adapter, but all of a sudden I get the problem back. Using the Wireless adapter is not the optimal option for me as I need to transfer very large files between VMs and externally.

Ultimately, should be Fusion developers job to fix this problem, but as mentioned, problem it's been there from several versions back.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So are you connecting the device to the guest?  Or are you connecting it to the host, and then using it in the guest?

If the latter, it could be a problem with your router.  Have you tried NAT instead?

0 Kudos
OJack
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @ColoradoMarmot

Thanks for your response. I'm using Fusion Pro in a MacBook Pro and the adapter is connected to the laptop. My VMs are bridged to it. I have tried NAT and every other option available with no success. However, as mentioned in my original post, sometimes it works for a day, but next day won't work anymore. Seems to me that that gets broken when the laptop goes to sleep. I do have another Mac with a built-in ethernet, running same version of Fusion and never had such problems. This leads me to believe the problem is with the adapter and also seen many other posts with USB-C related issues, although can't find that someone else is having same problem I have.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ah, if you're letting the laptop actually sleep while the VM is running that could easily be it - the USB device and VM probably 'wake up' in the wrong order which causes the connection gap.

FWIW, my practice is to manually sleep the guest before sleeping the laptop.  But then again, I don't really run VM's on battery power so it's rarely an issue.

0 Kudos