VMware Communities
9820Riverside
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

USB 3 devices not mounting in Win10 VM - Fusion 11.5.1 + Catalina 10.15.3

I can't get any USB 3  / USB C devices to mount in a Win10 VM.  I'm not sure if this started with upgrade to Fusion 11 and/or Catalina (MacBook Pro 2018)???

I've read several articles with similar issues and no real fix.  When I plug in a USB 3 or C device it prompts to connect to Windows, It tries to mount, "bonks", several times, them the USB3 controlled shows (yellow !). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the controller/driver, all of them, with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi 9820Riverside,

What device are you connecting to VM? Is it a USB 3.1 gen 2 hard drive?

Also, you can try to add the following line to your vmx file and see if it helps.

usb.generic.keepStreamsEnabled = "FALSE"

Please back up your VM before you start to modify the vmx file.

Regards,

-Rick

View solution in original post

15 Replies
9820Riverside
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a problem with both USB 3.0 and 3.1 (USB C) devices.  I've tried going back to USB 2 and USB 1 mode with no luck.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can confirm.

Seen that this week as well, a USB stick that I used many times in the past, now just did not get recognized by the VM.

Very frustrating.

What _did_ work in the end was the "old & ugly" workaround and put a USB2 hub between the USB3 device and the USB3 to USB-C dongle in my MBP.

Jay for the dongle fest and slower usb, but it worked.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi 9820Riverside,

What device are you connecting to VM? Is it a USB 3.1 gen 2 hard drive?

Also, you can try to add the following line to your vmx file and see if it helps.

Please back up your VM before you start to modify the vmx file.

Regards,

-Rick

9820Riverside
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, USB

0 Kudos
9820Riverside
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Samsung T-5 & a NVMe in a USB-C adapter).

I'll trying adding the line to the vmx and get back with results.

0 Kudos
9820Riverside
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IT WORKED!

Thanks!

trillizo2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue the fix worked for Windows 10 but not for Linux. I get message that ""false"" is invalid and it sets usb.generic.keepStreamsEnabled "true". Still can't connect an external usb drive to Linux.

0 Kudos
PhilAussie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Rickshu,

I'm having same problem with USB drives.

I'm running Fusion 11.5.3 and was wondering if adding:

into the vmx would help?

And if so, were in the file should the line of code be place? I tried one place but I had an error that said the application was corrupted. Recovered Ok but it would save me a lot of time to know exactly where the code should go.

Thanks

Phil

0 Kudos
PhilAussie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi again RickShu,

Please ignore my original question about getting a corruption on the running of VMware Fusion 11.5.3. I obviously entered the code suggested by you incorrectly.

However, I still have a problem.

I'm trying to recover, using a Windows 10 Pro repair disk, from an image backup written on a USB connected expansion hard drives. I have actually written the backup to two drives as was having trouble with firstly a Seagate Expansion Portable drive and now a Western Digital My Passport drive.

The VMware is running on a MacBook Pro (mid 2015) under Mojave 10.14.6.

Using a Windows 10 Pro repair disk I get all the way through the recovery process to the point where Windows looks for the image copy I wish to use for the recovery.

I have tried using both drives on different trials and they are recognised by Fusion in Settings. I have requested that the drive I am using be connected to Windows.

I have modified the VM vmx file with the line of code you suggested. However Windows cannot find the drives. If I connect either drive to Windows under normal boot conditions, they do appear under Disk Management and Explorer so I believe the expansion disks are OK.

Can you offer any further suggestions?

Thanks again

Phil

0 Kudos
PhilAussie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RickShu,

P.S. The Seagate data is written under NTFS and the WD data is written under ExFat. I tried both to see if this was causing a problem but as I expected it made no difference.

regards

Phil

0 Kudos
DepthToy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, Could you detail how you edited the .vmx file? I'm having trouble getting it to work - either within terminal, or via textedit.

Any help would be great

0 Kudos
MacDragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've frankly been having this same issue, on last several fusion releases and also in tech preview now, with my usb c SSD's.

I've got the setting in VMX, but it seems to have no effect.

Also if I don't force the device to connect to windows in settings it seems to immiedietly disconnect and return to mac.

In windows, I get "

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}

The requested operation was unsuccessful.

"

On mass storage device driver in device manager.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Your USB-C device might be USB 3.1, and Fusion and Workstation both only support up to USB 3.0 today.

This is a feature we've added to Fusion12 and Workstation 16.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
MacDragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I note that they behave same in current tech preview which lists as 3.1 support? So hoping it's something that been more fully added/fixed since last preview version then.. though I guess this note/query should be made more specifically made in preview forum.

0 Kudos
MacDragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update: Had a thought, and went back and renabled that stream option that had been enabled, and then suddenly ssd showed up in preview.