VMware Communities
IvarREW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

USB 3.0 support ?

I've been trying to mount a USB3.0 drive in a VM on my MBP(Mid 2012, OSX 10.8.3)  but I keep getting the following error before it even gets to the VM:

The device 'XXX' was unable to connect to its ideal host controller. An attempt will be made to connect this device to the available host controller. This might result in undefined behavior for this device.

This bug exists in VMware Fusion 5.0.3 and is a serious pain. I've searched the forums and release notes, and the closest I could find was from : VMware Fusion 5 and VMware Fusion 5 Professional Release Notes

Unable to boot a virtual machine from some USB 3.0 devices on MacBook Air 5.1
You might be unable to boot a virtual machine from some USB 3.0 devices on MacBook Air 5.1.
When attaching a USB 3.0 device, you might see the error message The device 'XXX' was unable to connect to its ideal host controller. An attempt will be made to connect this device to the available host controller. This might result in undefined behavior for this device.

You can ignore the error message and finish installing the guest OS on the USB device. However, after restarting the virtual machine, the USB 3.0 device does not show up on the Boot Menu.

Workaround: Use a USB 2.0 device as a replacement.

Although I'm not trying to boot from USB, I still get this error. Does this mean that USB 3 devices are not supported ? If they are expected to work, how can I file a bug ?  If they are not supported, is there a roadmap or some sort of indication of when we might be able use USB 3 devices ?

Thanks

Tags (4)
20 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No need to resurrect a 5 year old thread for the same topic you posted separately.  Your monitor issue has nothing to do with USB support.

0 Kudos